E-M:/ Toxic Sewage Sludge is GGGGOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDD for you! NOT?

Enviro-Mich message from joonmck <joonmck@gateway.net>

Dear EMers,

Many of you have heard of the book, "Toxic Sludge is Good for You." It's
about the government's PR campaign to convince the public that land and
farm application of sewage sludge is A-OK. A must read.

Anyway, I wanted to alert readers to the controversy as it applies to
Michigan. As many of you know, the sludge contains 60,000 or so
human-made chemicals (the vast majority in negligible amounts), some of
which are a big cause of concern by the Cornell Waste Management
Institute, a think tank that published the excellent (and VERY READABLE)
monograph called, "The Case for Caution."

According to Cornell most metal standards are set way too low. Anyway,
I'd like to encourage you all to compare Michigan's sludge standards
with Cornell's:

Here's the DEQ:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/swq/biosolid/web/metals.htm

Here's Cornell (open the PDF file, "The Case for Caution):

http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/wmi/PDFS/PDFS.html

I've written extensively about this as it pertains to a certain section
of Michigan and will share that with you later. For now, for those who
are  interested, I encourage you to become better educated on this
matter. You should know that there is a growing contingent of
environmentalists who want the practice banned altogether.

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Environmentalist &
Anthropologist

Thank you.

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Environmentalist &

"Insanity in individuals is rare, in nations, epochs
and eras it is the rule."
         -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Philosopher (1844 - 1900)