Re: E-M:/ CAFO runoff

Enviro-Mich message from Spartacus <rbodanyi@umich.edu>

Respectfully submitted,
	I agree, and yet the effect is the same. If you were to show me one
operation that applies sludge responsibly, in terms of what the biosphere
can absorb with a maximum utility/detriment ratio (meaning not necessarily
what the state permisively allows) I venture to say that there are dozens,
if not hundreds, that do not, and whose effect is to slowly (or rapidly,
for that matter) poison local waterways and systems. In fact a recent
discussion on this listserve highlighted the prevalence of cold-weather
application of sewage, a practice which is foolish in the sense that the
land gains little utility from the sludge and most of it is destined to
turn to runoff on the hard ground. This issue is an aside from the equal if
not greater gravity of chemical contamination that often results from
poorly designed municipal sewer systems, that the good Mr. Zaber brought
up. Perhaps pristine sludge exists in municipal systems today, but if so
it's absurdly rare.

Ryan Bodanyi
Student, University of Michigan