Re: E-M:/ Wintering Piping Plover comments reopened

Enviro-Mich message from "Lynn Livingston" <redwingnut@sprintmail.com>

Your comments are timely, based on the fear and hatred that has been
generated in Southwest Florida, because of the FWS proposal to designate the
beaches of Marco Island as "critical habitat" for the Piping Plover.  I was
there with family over Christmas and witnessed first hand the hatred of the
bird by Marco Island residents, all because they were mis-informed about
what critical habitat designation means.  One jewelry shop on the island was
even making and selling "dead" Piping Plover pins.  The city council even
gave $30,000 to a committee fighting critical habitat designation!
The Piping Plover, along with thousands of other shore birds of many
species, winter over on Tigertail Beach, a county park on the gulf side of
the island.  It is a beautiful place to walk, swim and bird watch.  The
Florida Audubon, in early January, was calling for a national boycott of
Marco Island.  Please check out the following link to the Marco Eagle
newspaper and search for "plover."  There are many articles which show why
the poor bird is so hated by Marco Island
residents.  Misinformation from development interests has fanned the flames
of resentment.
http://www.marcoeagle.com/

Lynn Livingston