E-M:/ "WORKPLACE MOBBING" OF MICHIGAN ENVIRONMENTALISTS: Please Read this and Contact me ASAP

Enviro-Mich message from joonmck <joonmck@gateway.net>

Dear Enviro-Mich Readers and Friends,

I need your help. Please read this entire posting. I promise that, for
many of you, it will change your life.

I begin, as I often do, poetically. . . .

"I seen the best minds of my generation, starving, hysterical, mad. . .
." So begins the famous opening line of Allen Ginsberg's poem "Howl."

Sad to say, I've seen some of the best minds of my generation slandered,
humiliated and censored. Three of these individuals worked in local
Michigan government. Their assignment: ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH!

I NEED YOUR HELP! Those of you who have been following my recent score
of postings know by now that I am an anthropologist and an
environmentalist. Let me tell you more. As an anthropologist I have
begun ethnographic research on the phenomenon of "WORKPLACE MOBBING" as
it relates to environmental researcher/writers/workers in Michigan.
Having witnessed (or been informed about) this activity first hand, I
think that this is a widespread phenomenon that needs to be uncovered
and made public.

It's as deadly as mercury to an eighteenth century hat maker. I am quite
serious. I need your help in cataloguing as many stories and instances
of "WORKPLACE MOBBING" to save the health (and maybe even the LIVES) of
good intellectual workers who have been seriously injured for their
environmental work. Harassed, slandered and forced out of good jobs by
superiors (or colleagues) who DO NOT WANT CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL
RESEARCH/DATA TO GET OUT TO THE PUBLIC.

Many of you have never heard about "WORKPLACE MOBBING." It's a term
quite popular in Europe but is only now gaining some headway in the U.S.
(I'll discuss it more in a minute). If you've seen the Al Pacino movie,
"The Insider" about the cigarette manufacturer Brown and Williamson's
criminal treatment against whistle-blower Jeffrey Wigand, than you
already have a good feel for the phenomenon.

MOBBING IS...EMOTIONAL ABUSE at the workplace. It is "ganging up" by
co-workers, subordinates or superiors to force someone out of the
workplace through rumor, innuendo, intimidation, humiliation,
discrediting, and isolation. It is malicious, nonsexual, nonracial
harassment. IRONICALLY THE TARGETED INDIVIDUALS ARE RUMORED TO BE AT
RISK OF "GOING POSTAL," WHEN IN FACT THEY ARE PERFECTLY NORMAL SOULS. IN
FACT IT IS THE DYSFUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION THAT IS PROJECTING THEIR FEARS
ONTO AN INNOCENT PERSON, MAKING HER OR HIM A SCAPEGOAT. Again, having
witnessed or been told about three instances of "WORKPLACE MOBBING" of
environmental workers (lasting, on average, 6 months), I suspect that
this is a very common phenomenon, particularly with environmental
workers since the material is so controversial and threatening to
powerful interests.

Dr. Heinz Leymann, an industrial psychologist and medical scientist with
an M.D. in psychiatry, has pioneered the research on this workplace
phenomenon that he named MOBBING in Sweden in the 80's. A massive public
awareness campaign in Europe, stimulated by Dr. Leymann's research has
forced organizations to face the phenomenon of workplace mobbing. As a
result, many people have found assistance and recourse.

AND NOW THERE IS A BOOK THAT SHOULD CATALYZE AWARENESS OF THIS
PHENOMENON IN THE U.S.:

The book "MOBBING: Emotional Abuse in the American Workplace" by Noa
Davenport Ph.D., Ruth Distler Schwartz, and Gail Pursell Elliott is
partially based on Dr. Leymann's work. In his foreword he says: "This is
an important book. It sheds light on great suffering and proposes ideas
to reduce this suffering." OPRAH WINFREY MUST BE MADE AWARE OF THIS
BOOK!

Please go to the following websites to get detailed information:

http://www.mobbing-usa.com/Book.htm
http://mobbing-usa.com/Main.htm
www.leymann.se
http://www.bullybusters.org/
http://www.wage.org/doc/text/12mob.html

According to one estimate, a million U.S. workers suffer mobbing each
year at an annual cost of perhaps
$100 million from absenteeism, reduced productivity, psychological care
and law suits. The costs to
victims include anxiety disorders, irreversible personality changes, and
in extreme cases, death by suicide
or murder.

Again, I am focusing my research on Michigan environmental workers. I
include ANYONE having anything to do with uncovering or communicating
environmental news/facts/analysis/opinion to the public, but especially:
epidemiologists, health analysts, journalists, sanitarians and
academics.

Anyone who is familiar with the 1998 PEER survey of Michigan Department
of Environmental Quality workers, knows that the units is very
demoralized under Engler.

I was struck by the response to question 20: "I have experienced or know
of a situation(s) in which DEQ management has re-assigned or changed the
job responsibility of a staffer for doing their job "too well" on
a controversial project. 34% Strongly Agree 20% Agree 24% No Opinion 13%
Disagree 9% Strongly Disagree.

For those of you who have not yet viewed the results, see:

http://www.peer.org/publications/srvy_mi_deq.html

I am a good and hardy writer who aims to serve the public interest. I
implore any and all of you who have stories to tell about 'WORPLACE
MOBBING" as it related to environmental workers in Michigan to contact
me as soon as possible.

If you are hesitant to e-mail me, please call and leave a message at
Michigan State University's Department of Anthropology (517) 353-2950.
Or send correspondence to Dr. Brian McKenna, Department of Anthropology,
308 Baker Hall, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.

Or just E-Mail me at: joonmck@gateway.net

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Environmentalist,
Anthropologist &
Public Citizen

"If there are connections everywhere, why do we persist in turning
dynamic, interconnected phenomena into static, disconnected things?"
           -- Eric R. Wolf, Anthropologist (1923-1999)

"Insanity in individuals is rare, in nations, epochs
and eras it is the rule."
           -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Philosopher (1844 - 1900)