E-M:/ River of Life: Earthkeeping in Our Own Backyard

RIVER OF LIFE

For Immediate Release
For more information:   Rosetta Nicaise  248-853-5390

RIVER OF LIFE PRESENTS NATIVE AMERICAN PERSPECTIVE ON PROTECTING THE EARTH

The faith-based environmental network River of Life is continuing its new
environmental speaker series called Earthkeeping in Our Own Backyard on
Thursday, April 26.

On that date, Dean Jacobs, director of the Walpole Island Heritage Centre,
will be the addressing the topic of Protecting Mother Earth, Defending Our
Future. Mr. Jacobs is a member of the International Joint Commission's
Council of Great Lakes Research Managers.  His Centre has been recognized
as one of the best First Nation community research offices in Canada.  In
1995, the Walpole Island First Nation received the We the Peoples: 50
Communities Award from the Friends of the United Nations for their
exemplary record in environmental research and sustainable development.

The event, formerly scheduled for April 12,  will take place at St. Mary of
the Hills Church, 2675 John R,  between Auburn Road and Hamlin, in
Rochester Hills.  Time is 7pm to 9 pm.  All are invited, and there is no
cost.  For more information  please call Rosetta at 248-853-5390.

River of Life president Kathy Mitten explained that her organization hoped
"to establish faith-based environmental groups all over southeast Michigan.
 Our immediate goal is to alert the community to the serious issues
affecting local watersheds.  We're looking for help from people of all
religious traditions, so everyone can fish, swim, and play in our lakes and
rivers again."  For information on how individuals, your church or your
organization can join the River of Life, call Kathy at 313-371-0930.

Brad Wilson
Program Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund
38875 Harper
Clinton Township, MI 48036

(Voice) (810) 783-8900
(Fax)    (810) 783-4033
Email: metrodetroit@cleanwater.org
http://www.cleanwateraction.org          http://www.cleanwaterfund.org

4-26-01 Press Release Speaker Series.doc (Microsoft Word Document)