E-M:/ "WORKPLACE MOBBING": Responses begin to trickle in

Enviro-Mich message from joonmck <joonmck@gateway.net>

Here's an important response to my WORKPLACE MOBBING" post from an
environmental attorney:

"Brian,

I'm a solo practitioner enviro attorney in [city protected to protect
respondent, BMcK]. The forte of my "paying" practice is employment
discrimination and wrongful discharge. . . I've certainly seen the
phenomena of mobbing.

The concept is hardly new. The antidiscrimination
laws make it illegal to retaliate against someone who
has filed an administrative charge or who supports
someone who opposes discriminatory workplace
practices. I've seen a surprising number of
circumstances where management people, in response to
an administrative discrimination charge (which is
investigated in a low-profile fashion typically),
actually become more punitive, belligerent,
pointlessly mean, and "gang up."

This is an area where there isn't much literature
and of necessity, most of it is anecdotal.

Mobbing often happens around whistleblowers, as I'm
sure you realize. I don't know if Michigan has a
whistleblower protection statute, but, remarkably to
me, [another Midwestern state, BMcK] does, which was passed after
revelations about a chemist who was fired for trying to keep his
hazwaste dump multinational employer from violating
federal law back in the '80's. If MI doesn't have such
a statute, and your research moves to a point where
you press for changes in workplace practices, I surely
recommend greater whistleblower protections. . . Best of luck with this
latest undertaking."

OK, it's me again. Does anyone out there know much about the strength of
Michigan's whistleblower protection laws? Please let me (or us) know. If
you do not want to be identified, send me your message privately and
I'll remove ANY tracers to you and then relay the message to the entire
Enviro-Mich listserv.

Thank You!

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Environmentalist &
Anthropologist

P.S. Remember that few people ever read dissertations (including the
student's dissertation committee!). But there-in are nuggets more
precious than a Petosky stone. . .there for the mining!

"If there are connections everywhere, why do we persist in turning
dynamic, interconnected phenomena into static, disconnected things?"
              -- Eric R. Wolf, Anthropologist (1923-1999)

"Insanity in individuals is rare, in nations, epochs
 and eras it is the rule."
              -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Philosopher (1844 - 1900)