Re: Re: E-M:/ WLFA News Release

Greetings,

I would also add that on state lands there are no substantial threatened and
endangered species studies done to reflect "sound" analysis in EIS's,
environmental assessments or biological evaluations-even when done.
Biologists on state land are often not allowed to do endangered species
survey work because their incomes and wages are largely paid through funds
from the Deer Range Improvement Program.  This program embraces a policy of
clearcutting forests for deer food, so-called "habitat improvement projects".
 The artificially inflated deer herd numbers result in cycles of starvation
and severe overgrazing of forests.  For instance, In Menominee County (and on
thousands of acres across the state) deer herds have been so high that
hardwoods do not grow back due to heavy deer grazing.  White cedar, hemlock,
and Canadian yew are components of old growth forests that simply do not grow
back where deer overgraze, or where cuts have occurred under "wildlife
improvement projects."  MUCC, DNR and the FS presume to think that all of
Michigan's residents are content with tree farms of aspen, grouse and
white-tailed deer.

When MUCC, foresters and public officials from the DNR and FS talk about
science, it is the science of agricultural tree-farming-which happens to
favor grouse, whitetails, and other edge species.

Tree species such as hemlock, white cedar, eastern white pine and yellow
birch are tragically missing because industrial "forest science" has been
unable to successfully regenerate those species.  These species take at least
100-150 years to begin maturing into forests that provide habitat for many
forest species dependent on old growth.  This is too long for our Industrial
tree farmers.

On federal lands, "boiler-plate" environmental assesments and biological
evaluations are used in place of site specific assesments.   FS and DNR also
regularly ignore peer reviewed data on T& E species which has been conducted
outside the agency.

Murray Dailey

Dave Zaber wrote:

MUCC's knee-jerk and ill-conceived reaction to the Sierra Club suit over
wildlife management on public lands in Michigan reflects the organization's
view that maintaining ecosystems in early successional stages to maximize
herbivore abundance for game purposes is sound management.

If MUCC were truly interested in sound management and accurate environmental
assessment, then they would be leading the charge for a full Environmental
Impact Statement on use of the PR funds.  That way, the merits of their
arguments, and the arguments of groups such as the Ruffed Grouse Society will
be evaluated for all to see.  That's all that Sierra Club is asking for in
the lawsuit, after all.

For far too long, federal tax dollars have gone to support management
practices with a growing record of adverse impacts.  Finally, we have the
opportunity to verify the assertions of MUCC and other groups regarding the
suitability and success of land management practices in Michigan.
Unfortunately, rather then support sound analysis opponents have turned to
patently false statements and exageration.  Opponents of this suit should
reexamine their opposition in light of the need for sound environmental
analysis of a program with such large impacts and such great possibilities.

Regards,

Dave Zaber