Re: E-M:/ U.S. Supreme Court Again Support Clean Air

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, James Clift wrote:

> P.S. On another positive note, EPA Administrator Christine Todd Whitman
> announced last Wednesday the Bush administration is considering imposing
> carbon dioxide limits from power plants to address global warming
> concerns.

Well, that's pretty tricky. One can reduce NOx and carbon monoxide, but if
you burn any fuel cleanly, you get 44/12 pound of CO2 for every pound of
carbon that is burned. A limit on CO2 is a limit on fuel used. The only
way to reduce this per Killowatt-hour is to design more efficient power
cycles (fuel cells instead of steam turbines?), and I don't think that
that is what she is thinking of. So, what is she thinking of?

--Rane L. Curl
  Prof. (emeritus) of Chemical Engineering