RE: E-M:/ U.S. Supreme Court Again Support Clean Air

I was asked off list, by "Bill";

> I was thinking the same thing.
> Then I was wondering how much energy came from oxidizing C versus H.
> I know that I used to calculate this back when I was an undergraduate, but
> is there a handy chart on the Web of CO2 produced vs BTU produced?

There are charts of the "Lower Heat of Combustion" of hydrocarbons,
per MOLE, but I don't know if they are on the web. Try searching on
that phrase. Each hydrocarbon will have N moles of carbon, so you have
to divide the heat of combustion by N, to get it per mole of carbon.

Yes, H in the fuel provides a good part of the heat, so one can produce
less CO2 per BTU by using a fuel higher in H content. The highest is
methane (CH4), so converting from coal (essentially nCH) to methane
produces less CO2. That is, of course, an option in addition to using a
more efficient power cycle (and thank you for bringing it out by asking
the question).

I just read in the newspapers that Bush is proposing to increase the use
of coal for power generation. That runs contrary to the suggestion to
reduce CO2.

--Rane