E-M:/ Polybrominated diphenyl ethers

PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers) are accumulating in wildlife in the Great Lakes.  I have attached a powerpoint presentation on PBDEs in Lake Ontario (it also contains data on lake erie and superior) building up in wildlife.  They have a high octanol water partition coefficient (Kow's as high as 6) which reflects their high bioaccumulative potential.  There are 206 different congeners (sound familier?) that have different properties.

The only positive thing I can see from this latest discovery is that toxic fish from the Great Lakes may cook more evenly given that PBDEs are often used as flame retardants.  At least they'll never burn......

Regards,

David J. Zaber
dzaber@chorus.net