Re: E-M:/ U.S. Supreme Court Again Support Clean Air

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

Two questions/comments relative to CO2 emissions.

1) What about co-generation plants? There is a significant amount of heat
left after the steam turbines are done; I had the general impression that
other co-generation could better capture the total heat output, although
I'm not familiar with the engineering details. How do Michigan and the U.S.
in general compare to other countries in use of co-generation plants?

2) Although steam plants may generate electricity at close to the maximum
efficiency, electricity use in the US is relatively inefficient after it
leaves the generation plant. One way for utilities to limit CO2 emissions
would be to encourage the use of more efficient appliances and otherwise
limit consumption. Is energy efficiency being promoted by any Michigan
utilities? Any chance that this could be a direction the EPA will promote?

At 03:50 AM 3/6/2001 -0500, Rane Curl wrote:

>My point was that a power plant cannot produce more CO2 emissions than the
>carbon in the fuel burned, nor can it produce less CO2 emissions than that
>corresponding to the maximum possible efficiency. Steam power plants
>already operate rather close to the latter. Where is there room for
>*really significant* reductions in CO2 emissions? Even performance
>standards are limited by the conservation laws of matter and energy. What
>is required to combat global warming is many fold reductions in CO2
>emissions, not small improvements in efficiency.
>
>--Rane L. Curl

John E. Rebers
Department of Biology
Northern Michigan University