E-M:/ Messianic Weather Report for Saturday, March 10, 2001

Enviro-Mich message from joonmck <joonmck@gateway.net>

Weather Report for Saturday, March 10, 2001

Thanks for joining us. This morning Michigan State University students
will breathe easier thanks to a DEQ enforcement action that fines the
university $40,000 for its high NOX emissions. Finally! Students in the
area of Service Road and Farm Lane are still advised to wear face masks
because the Spartan utility has weeks to comply with the ruling to place
pollution abatement equipment in its stacks.

What's that Dave? News Flash coming in?

TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICK

"We bring you this 30 second epigram from the Emergency Fogcast System.
. ."

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practiced in face of
despair is the
attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from
the
standpoint of redemption. Knowledge has no light but that shed on the
world by
redemption: all else is reconstruction, mere technique. Perspectives
must be
fashioned that displace and estrange the world, reveal it to be, with
its rifts and
crevices, as indigent and distorted as it will appear one day in the
messianic light. . .
 this alone is the task of thought. Theodor Adorno (Minima Moralia,
1951)

Now back to the MSU story. . .

We send you to our reporter at the scene, Jennifer Jolly….Jen!?

Thanks Bart. Here I am with Steve Still, a spokesperson for Michigan's
First Environmental Rascals (or MFers), an advocacy group protesting at
the stacks [Steve removes his face mask. . . .]

Steve, your thoughts on this week's ruling?

"Well, it's encouraging that the Engler administration has finally woken
up to MSU's irresponsible behavior, But, frankly, the fine is far too
little and decades overdue. Geez, what's 40K to this place? A season's
jockstraps for the football team?"

"Jockstraps aside Mr. Still, let's put this in larger perspective. .
.Did you hear the 30 second announcement
by the Emergency Fogcast System?

"Yea"

"Well, give us a messianic perspective, why don't you?"

"OK, OK, let me think for a minute…."

"While Mr. Still contemplates his answer, we pause for this commercial
message. . . .."

"HEY FOLKS, THIS IS SUNDANCE, C'MON DOWN!! WE"RE OVERPRICED AND
OPPRESSIVE TO OUR WORKERS, BUT WHAT THE HECK, I'M RICH!! WHO CARES ABOUT
THE LOSS OF FOSSIL FUELS AND THE OZONE LAYER?? HECK I'M RICH!! JUST
REMEMBER, I'M RICH AND YOUR NOT!"

"We're back. . .Mr. Still? Your messianic thought for the day?

Well, it's like I always tell my children, "Still waters run deep."
That's been a saying in the Still family for generations."

"But, Mr. Still, what does that mean?"

"Don't quite know, do you have any ideas?"

"Er, um, not really. Let's take it back to the studio, Darren!?. . . . .

That's it for today's weather forecast. And remember here at Green
Weather Central, we're redefining what counts as weather. Our motto,
"It's not the storms, it's the elements, stupid!"

In the Elements,

Brian McKenna
Environmentalist &
Anthropologist