E-M:/ Reminder, Robin Smith at MSU TONITE

Enviro-Mich message from "Pete Pasterz" <ppasterz@pplant.msu.edu>

Well Hall, rm. B-104 @ 7:30
CMG Sierra Club Announces Native Forest Council Speaker on Taxpayer-Subsidized Abuse of Public Lands.

East Lansing *The Central Michigan Group of the Sierra Club and the Michigan Environmental Council have invited Robin Smith, Regional Director of the Native Forest Council, to speak at Michigan State University in B104 Wells Hall on Thursday, March 22, 2001 at 7:30 p.m. The general public is invited to attend his free presentation, entitled: "FOREVER LOST OR FOREVER WILD:  OUR THREATENED FEDERAL PUBLICLY-OWNED LANDS" The talk will focus on the ways in which taxpayer money is used to subsidize logging, grazing, and mining by private corporations and individuals on our public lands.  "It is essential that Michigan citizens be made aware of the ways in which their tax-dollars are misused to promote the destruction of our national land for the benefit of the few," said Maria Lapinski-LaFaive, Central Michigan Sierra Club Conservation Co-Chair.

What is the Native Forest Council?
The Native Forest Council, based in Eugene, Oregon, is a national organization that works to protect America's wildlife and wildlands. The Council has been working since 1989 to stop logging, mining, and grazing on OUR public lands. David Brower, former executive director of the Sierra Club and member of the Native Forest Council Advisory Board once said "The Native Forest Council has done more to alert the nation's public, to nationalize and move the primeval, native forest issue forward than any other organization I know of."  The Native Forest council is committed to ending all commercial use of national lands.

Who is Robin Smith?
Robin Smith, currently Midwest Regional Director for the Native Forest Council, received his Bachelor's degree in education and Master's degree in Environmental Science from Ohio State University.   He has taught high school biology and environmental science, worked for the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, was the executive director of a nonprofit wildlife organization, and worked as a Ranger for the National Park Service.  He has lectured around the country on the importance of preserving our national lands.

The Sierra Club nationwide, and its 1500 members in central Michigan, is committed to protecting our environment for our families and for our future.
The event is sponsored by: Central Michigan Group of the Sierra Club, Michigan Environmental Council
GSO of the Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife at MSU,  Office of Campus Sustainability at MSU, and  Urban Options
                         #####

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=