Re: E-M:/ Lansing "Company Town 101"

Enviro-Mich message from "joonmck" <joonmck@gateway.net>

Dear EMers,

Below is another response to the Lansing, "Company Town 101" post. (It's
becoming clearer to me that environmentalists need to critically monitor the
corporatization of the curriculum.) I'll have more to say on this is a
future post. Here 's the reply post (with all identifiers taken out):

Funny you should mention it. "It" being the fact that universities, such as
MSU are increasingly being paid off by industrial interests to promote their
technological pursuits.

Not only GM, but the biotechnology and chemical industries are taking over
universities' research labs--especially those of land grant universities. I
have often read in news reports how sound science is being replaced by junk
science through this process.

MSU historically helped foster the "Green Revolution" with chemical ag
technology and now has a biotechnology lab from what I understand. As an
activist working against the spread of genetically modified organisms into
the environment, this is a ongoing concern of mine.

At the organic agricultural conference in Lansing a couple weeks ago, the
President of MSU, Peter McPherson, missed the point of the organic
philosophy entirely. It was obvious that he's a corporate financial
mogul--everything he said was about economics--from a
reductionist/industrialist perspective.

I understand that Dow Chemical is doing the same at the schools in the Bay
City Area.

Just a thought. . .

Yours,

Brian McKenna
Environmentalist,
Anthropologist &
Public Citizen

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
   Louis Brandeis,
   U.S. Supreme Court 1916-1939