E-M:/ GRANTS AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEER CLEANUPS OF RIVERS, STREAMS, AND CREEKS

Enviro-Mich message from "Scott McEwen" <scott@watershedcouncil.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Time Sensitive

Date:		March 23, 2001
Contact: 	Scott McEwen
		(231) 347-1181
		scott@watershedcouncil.org

GRANTS AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEER CLEANUPS OF RIVERS,
STREAMS, AND CREEKS

The Michigan River Network and the Michigan Department of Environmental
Quality
are pleased to announce the availability of small grants to help
organizations fund the
volunteer cleanup of Michigan’s rivers and streams.  The Michigan
legislature recently
approved $50,000 to be used by Michigan citizens for this important
initiative.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for local organizations to receive funding
to involve
community members in improving their environment in a tangible way,” stated
Scott
McEwen of the Michigan River Network, a program of Tip of the Mitt Watershed
Council. Monies are earmarked specifically to pay for the cleanup of trash
and debris
removal from rivers and streams.  The grants can pay for such items as
disposal costs,
hand tools, supplies, and refreshments and promotional materials for
volunteers, but
cannot pay for staff time.

Grants will be made in amounts ranging from $500 to $5,000 depending on
applicant
needs.  “We’ve tried to structure this program so grant money will quickly
and efficiently
get into our communities to directly benefit our rivers and streams,” stated
Sharon Baker
of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality’s Surface Water Quality
Division.

Applicants must either be a not for profit organization, governmental
organizations,
or have a sponsor which is a not for profit organization to be eligible for
consideration.
Applicants will also need to provide a 25% local match of the total project
cost.
Application deadline is May 4, 2001.  To receive a grant application call
Scott
McEwen at (231) 347-1181 or email him at scott@watershedcouncil.org.