E-M:/ I-94 Comment period extended to May 11, 2001

Last week, several environmental and community groups including, MARP, MLUI, EMEAC, MEC, and REAL joined TRU in seeking Senator Levin's assistance in securing an extension of the Comment period on the DEIS fo the I-94 "rehabilitation project.". Senator Levin in requesting FHWA to grant "an additional 90 days to allow the public an adequate amount of time to review the material," noted, "It would be a travesty if those who stand to be most affected by a project of such broad implications were not given the opportunity to have their voices heard.

I received the following EMAIL from MDOT this afternoon, informing us that the comment period had been extended for 45 days.  Although this is only half of the time period Senator Levin requested, it is a victory for those members of the public seeking to be heard on the impacts of the I-94 project.

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:40:57 -0500
From: "Jose Lopez" <lopezjos@mdot.state.mi.us>
To: <kdkhands@voyager.net>
Subject: I-94 Comments Extention

** PRIVATE **

Ms. Kendrick-hands:

I am happy to inform you that the deadline for comments for the I-94 Rehabilitation DEIS has been extended for an additional 45 days to accommodate Sen. Levin,  EPA and other requests. The new deadline for comments is May 11, 2001.

We are making everything possible this afternoon and tomorrow to share this information with the public through several mechanism. Please help us share the new deadline with other interested parties and individuals.

Thanks

Jose A. Lopez
Public Hearing Officer
Michigan Department of Transportation

Karen D. Kendrick-Hands, President
Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
313.885.7588, fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net
Check out TRU's web page at http://www.marp.org/tru.htm
Try the Motranzit site, too - http://www.hometown.aol.com/motranzit
Also check out www.transitdetroit.freeservers.com &
http://www.detroitmasstransit.com/
If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right answers . . .