E-M:/ Great Lakes Diversion Forum in Northern Michigan

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:40:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "Robert E. Marshall" <ac459@tcnet.org>
To: Tom Hinsberg <tcon@centurytel.net>
Subject: Forum on Diversion of Great Lakes Water w. Bart Stupak, MLUI and
  Great Lakes

Hi,
I attach some pr on this forum which I thought you might like to be
aware of.

PRESS RELEASE/NOTICE:

A FORUM:

  "DIVERTING WATER FROM THE GREAT LAKES: IMPLICATIONS FOR THE
CITIZENS OF NORTHERN MICHIGAN"

         The Northern Michigan Environmental Action Council (NMEAC)
will host a forum on the increasing pressure to divert and use
water from the Great Lakes for purposes removed from our area.
The forum will be at the Traverse City  Opera House, 112 1/2 E.
Front Street, in Downtown Traverse City, on Wednesday, April
18, from 6:30 to 8:00 P.M. NMEAC will also report on their
current environmental activities and introduce new members of
the Board.
         Pressure is constantly increasing to divert our water in
quantities of millions of gallons for sale to foreign
interests.  A consortium of Great Lakes Governors is presently
considering agreements to allow this.
         It is becoming increasingly urgent that citizens of this area
become informed on the implications of these actions on the
ecology of our Lakes, particularly in these times of low
water.  NMEAC has offered a forum for this purpose to our Rep.
Bart Stupak, to staff with expertise in this area from the
Michigan Land Use Institute and from the Lake Michigan
Federation.
         Rep. Bart Stupak has had a long term interest in this issue
and has sponsored legislation to ban this usage.  The staff of
the Michigan Land Use Institute and of the Lake Michigan
Federation have made intensive studies of the implications of
systematic withdrawals from the lakes and will present their
findings at the forum
         This forum will offer an opportunity for our local residents
to learn what's happening locally, nationally and
internationally regarding this critical issue.  All are urged
to attend and participate in the forum.

Submitted for NMEAC:

         Robert E. Marshall,
         Member of the NMEAC Board
         1966 S. Lake Leelanau Dr.
         Lake Leelanau, MI 49653
         231-256-9136
         nmeac@traverse.com

                        Robert E. Marshall,
                          ac459@tcnet.org
                           FESTINA LENTE

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)