E-M:/ Children's Env. Health Workshop, Fri. 5/11

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle <marybeth@ecocenter.org>

The registration form is included in the message. Note, registration is due
by May 4.

Children's Environmental Health Workshop

Sharing information and strategies to protect the health of Southeast
Michigan's children

Protecting Children's Health is Everyone's Business

May 11, 2001

Purpose
The environment is fascinating and complex.  It includes the land we
live on, the water we drink, the air we breath, and the food we eat.  As
humans, we tend to change the environment to suite our purposes. This
modification often results in the introduction of pollutants which can
be harmful to human populations, particularly the elderly and children.

The United States has an impressive national health-care network of
dedicated physicians, researchers, health care providers, educators, and
investigators at all levels of government and the private sector. These
dedicated professionals use increasingly progressive technology to
prevent harmful interaction between people and the environment. However,
to be effective in protecting the public, including children, the health
care profession must develop partnerships with local governments and
schools districts in order to distribute valuable safety information to
health care providers and families.

Protecting children's health is everyone’s business.  The purpose of
this workshop is to bring health care providers and educators who are
active in the areas of asthma, mercury/lead, and pesticides together
with local officials and school representatives to discuss preventive
strategies.

Sponsor
The Southeast Michigan Initiative (SEMI)
SEMI is  partnership between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Region V, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, local and county
governments, and community groups to address environmental issues in
Southeast Michigan in a coordinated effort and not solely by regulatory
solutions.

Co-sponsors
CLEARCorps/Detroit
Community Action Against Asthma, Michigan Center for the Environment and
Children's Health
Detroit Health Department
Ecology Center
Greater-Detroit Area Health Council
Michigan Department of Community Health, Lead Hazard Remediation Program

Michigan Department of Community Health Services
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Region 5
University of Michigan-Dearborn
University of Michigan, School of Natural Resources and the Environment
University of Michigan, School of Public Health
Environmental Health Sciences Center, Wayne State University
Washtenaw County Government

Key Note Speaker
Dr. Richard J. Jackson, Director, National Center for Environmental
Health (NCEH) – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention, will deliver the keynote address.

The mission of the NCEH is to prevent illness, disability, and death
from interactions between people and the environment.  According to Dr.
Jackson, "As new parents are mindful that their infants' small world is
safe and healthy, so must we all be mindful that our children's small
planet must be, as well."

Children's Environmental Health Workshop
School of Management
The University of Michigan/Dearborn
Friday, May 11, 2001

8:30-9 a.m.   Registration

9-9:15 a.m.   Welcome, Overview of Day's Activities

9:15-10:15 a.m.   Asthma Panel, Q & A
Dr. Toby Lewis, MPH, University of Michigan Medical Center
Sheila Batka, Indoor Air Coordinator and Asthma Co-Leader, USEPA, Region
5
Tisa Vorce, RRT, MA, Coordinator of Michigan Asthma Community Network,
American Lung Association

10:15-10:30 a.m.  Break

10:30 a.m.- Noon  Lead & Mercury Panel, Q & A
Dr. Mary O. Dereski, Director of Community Outreach and Education
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Wayne State University
Michele Borgialli, Lead Hazard Remediation Program, Michigan Department
of Community Health
Dr. Susan Smolinske, Children's Hospital of Michigan
Jason El-Zein, USEPA, Region 5

Noon-1 p.m.   Lunch

1-2 p.m.   Keynote address
Dr. Richard Jackson, Director, National Center for Environment Health,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA)

2-3 p.m.    Pesticides Panel, Q & A
Dr. Brian Hughes, Toxicologist, Michigan Department of Agriculture
Larry Swain, Integrated Pest Management, Michigan Department of
Agriculture
Bethany Renfer, Clean Water Action

3-4 p.m.  Breakout Discussion Groups (with panelists)

4-4:30 p.m.  Report Out

Registration
The workshop is free.  However, there is an $10 charge for a continental
breakfast and lunch. The deadline for registration is May 4, 2001. No
money will be accepted at the workshop. Please make a check out to
SEMCOG and return it with the registration to:

Bill Parkus
SEMCOG
535 Griswold, Suite 300
Detroit, MI 48226

Name:
Address:
Telephone:
E-mail:

¨ I will provide a display or exhibit for the workshop

Breakout Group Selection
For planning purposes, please indicate which breakout discussion group
you would like to attend.

¨ Asthma ¨ Lead/Mercury ¨ Pesticides

Lunch Options (please check one)
A brown bag lunch will be provided along with a selection of juices.
Please select one of the following sandwich options:

¨ turkey and cheese submarine ¨ ham and cheese submarine ¨ vegetarian
submarine

If you have any questions or special needs, contact Bill Parkus, SEMCOG
Environmental Planner, (313) 961-4266, or e-mail parkus@semcog.org.

Mary Beth Doyle, MPH
Environmental Health Project
Ecology Center