E-M:/ FW: transcript of POPs announcement

Here's the transcript of the White House POPs
announcement - Bush, Powell
and Whitman

>  <<pops.html>>
For those who might not be able to download an
html file:

Copyright 2001 U.S. Newswire, Inc.
                              U.S. Newswire
April 19, 2001, Thursday 12:00 AM, Eastern Time
SECTION: NATIONAL DESK
LENGTH: 1774 words
HEADLINE: Transcript of Remarks by President Bush,
Colin Powell and
Christine
Todd Whitman in Environmental Announcement
DATELINE: WASHINGTON, April 19
BODY:
The following is a transcript of remarks by the
President, Secretary of
State Colin Powell and EPA Administrator Christine
Todd Whitman in an
environmental announcement: Rose Garden, 10:20
A.M. EDT
          THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all for coming.
Secretary Powell
and Administrator Whitman and I are pleased to
make an announcement on the
Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic
Pollutants. This international
agreement would restrict the use of 12 dangerous
chemicals -- POPs, as they
are known, or the Dirty Dozen.
          Negotiations were begun by the previous
administration, and
this treaty achieves a goal shared by this
administration. I'm pleased to
announce my support for the treaty and the
intention of our government to
sign and submit it for approval by the United
States Senate.
          This convention is significant in
several respects. First,
concerns over the hazards of PCBs, DDT, and the
other toxic chemicals
covered by the agreement are based on solid
scientific information. These
pollutants are linked to developmental defects,
cancer, and other grave
problems in humans and animals. The risks are
great, and the need for
action is clear. We must work to eliminate, or at
least to severely
restrict the release of these toxins without
delay.
          Second, this agreement addresses a
global environmental
problem. These chemicals respect no boundaries and
can harm Americans even
when released abroad. Third, this treaty takes
into account understandable
concerns of less-developed nations. When these
chemicals are used they pose
a health and environmental threat, no matter where
in the world they're
allowed to spread. But some nations with fewer
resources have a harder time
addressing these threats, and this treaty promises
to lend them a hand.
          And finally, this treaty shows the
possibilities for
cooperation among all parties to our environmental
debates. Developed
nations cooperated with less-developed nations.
Businesses cooperated with
environmental groups. And now, a Republican
administration will continue
and complete the work of a Democratic
administration.
          This is the way environmental policy
should work. And I want
to thank the United States delegation and all who
helped negotiate this
important treaty. And after our remarks here, we
would like to welcome you
in the Oval Office, so I can thank you personally.
          Mr. Secretary.
          SECRETARY POWELL: Thank you, Mr.
President, Administrator
Whitman. Ladies and gentlemen, President Bush's
decision to sign the global
treaty on persistent organic pollutants
demonstrates America's leadership
to help make the environment safe for all the
world's people. The signing
of this treaty on May 23rd in Stockholm and our
intention to rapidly bring
it into force reflect our government's clear
understanding that many
environmental problems are global in nature. And
it reaffirms our
commitment to fostering international cooperation
to ensure worldwide
environmental safety.
          Administrator Whitman, in a moment or
so, will go into the
actions the United States government has taken to
ban or severely restrict
the production and use of these highly toxic
chemicals here at home. I just
want to note that one reason we have taken such
strong steps here at home
against these chemicals, chemicals which have
links to reproductive failure
and cancer, is their stable chemical structure.
This means that they
persist. They persist in the environment, and they
accumulate in the food
chain.
          This is the same quality of stability
that makes them such a
potent international threat. Through a highly
complex process, these
pollutants circulate globally, throughout the
atmosphere and in the oceans
of the world to regions far from their source of
origin. They have been
found, for example, in Alaska and the Great Lakes,
at great distance from
the industrial and agricultural regions where they
were released.
          That is why the Convention on Persistent
Organic Pollutants
is so critical. It commits countries to take
significant steps to eliminate
or restrict the production of these chemicals,
whether they are in the form
of pesticides, industrial chemicals, or as
unintentional byproducts of
industrial or combustion processes.
          Let me cover just a few of the major
points of the
agreement. First, the treaty will ban production
and use of pesticides that
the President has noted are no longer registered
for use in the United
States. In recognition of the dire humanitarian
need for DDT, for example,
to fight malaria in Africa, an exception will be
made for this purpose with
respect to DDT, in line with international
guidelines until a more
cost-effective control method is found.
          Second, in line with U.S. practice, the
treaty will ban
production and new use of PCBs. It will mandate
national action plans
against certain byproducts of combustion,
including dioxin, and as in the
United States, require use of best available
techniques on new sources of
POPs byproducts in key categories.
          This convention also imposes controls on
the handling of
POPs waste, as well as on controls on any trade in
these chemicals, and it
sets up a science-based process to consider
whether other chemicals should
be added to the convention.
          The convention also establishes a
flexible framework to
provide technical and financial assistance to help
countries implement
their commitments. The control requirements will
cover both developed and
developing countries.
          Finally, the treaty establishes
mechanisms to help
developing countries fulfil their obligations. The
United States is already
a leader in contributing generously to developing
country efforts to
control POPs. We provided over $19 million in
assistance from 1997 to 2000
for POPs-related projects, and we will continue to
provide financial and
technical support.
          Global environmental protection is an
important part of this
administration's foreign policy agenda. In this
regard, I also want to
thank the diplomats and environmental
professionals at the State
Department, EPA and other agencies who worked
closely with affected
industry, environmental and native groups to
conclude an agreement that we
can all support. And I would like to single out
for praise, former Deputy
Assistant Secretary of State, Brooks Yeager, who
led the U.S. delegation.
          And finally, Mr. President, on behalf of
these dedicated
professionals that I have mentioned, and to all
those who seek a safe
environment for our children, I thank you for your
personal interest and
for your decision today.
          Thank you.
          ADMINISTRATOR WHITMAN: Mr. President,
Mr. Secretary, first
let me say how pleased I will be to be in
Stockholm next month to represent
-- as a representative of the United States, to
sign this treaty. This is
an issue that has been -- I have been questioned
about by numerous of our
international allies as to where the United States
was on this issue, and
whether or not we were going to go forward with
it. And I will be very
pleased to be that representative, because this
treaty offers a new level
of environmental and health protection for the
people here in the United
States, as well as around the world.
          By severely restricting, and in some
cases, entirely
eliminating the production, use, and/or release of
12 chemicals covered,
this treaty will help ensure that American people
are protected from the
threats that these chemicals present.
          As the President mentioned, POPs have
been linked to
numerous adverse effects in humans and animals.
Those include cancer,
central nervous system damage, reproductive
disorders and immune system
disruptions. They are, in fact, lethal.
          Here at home, as you know, the United
States has already
taken extensive steps and actions over many years
to address the pollutants
that are covered by this treaty. Registrations of
nine of the pesticides
covered in this treaty have already been
cancelled. We have banned the
manufacture of PCBs. And we have imposed stringent
controls on the release
of other covered chemicals.
          We all can remember the lesson we
learned from DDT, how bad
it was for our environment, and yet how widely it
was used to prevent
disease and to help crops. A second widely-used
pesticide, heptachlor, was
also a chemical used with the best intentions, and
the worst possible
outcomes.
          Clearly, domestic action alone on these
chemicals is not
sufficient. In spite of the steps that we have
taken, the American public
still finds itself at risk. These chemicals not
only persist in the
environment for years and years and even decades,
they also travel far
beyond their initial point of release and they
gain in their toxicity as
they accumulate. And that is something about which
we must be very
concerned.
          Our experience has shown that effective,
safe substitutes
for these chemicals do exist. That's knowledge
that I look forward, and I
know we all look forward, to sharing with
countries around the world, ways
to continue their economic growth and their
agricultural growth and protect
their health, but using less deadly means.
          By addressing on a global scale the
threats that the Dirty
Dozen pose, we are helping to meet our goal of
leaving America's air
cleaner, our water purer, and our land better
protected than we found it.
          I want to applaud the President for his
vision in putting
the United States squarely on the side of
protecting human health and the
environment. I have every confidence that with his
leadership, the United
States will play a major international role in
meeting the sacred
obligation we all have in preserving and
protecting the Earth for all its
inhabitants from the threat of pollution.
          Thank you all very much. And now the
President will have an
opportunity to greet those who negotiated so long
and hard on this treaty
in the Oval Office. Thank you.
   END     10:29 A.M. EDT
   KEYWORDS:
   WHITE HOUSE, TRANSCRIPT, ENVIRONMENT,
GOVERNMENT
White House Press Office, 202-456-2580

LOAD-DATE: April 19, 2001

==^===============================================

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Topics You
Choose.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01
Title: LEXIS®-NEXIS®
[...]

Search within these results:

This will only search up to 1,000 documents, even if your original search retrieved more.

General News;persistent organic pollutants

About LEXIS-NEXIS  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Privacy Policy  |   Support Identifier
Copyright © 2001 LEXIS-NEXIS, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.