Re: E-M:/ Earth Day weekend in Flint

Enviro-Mich message from "Cara Boucher" <boucherc@state.mi.us>

Greetings:

It's always wonderful to hear that people appreciate the values and benefits of trees--whether they are in our forests or in our communities.

Every year Arbor Day and Arbor week is celebrated in Michigan.  This year Arbor Day is Friday April 27th (Arbor week is April 22-28).    The Michigan Arbor Day Alliance helps coordinate activities around the state.  Visit the website at www.miarbordayalliance.org.There is information about events around the state and links to other tree related sites.

Arbor Day was created by J. Sterling Morton April 10,1872 in the Nebraska Territory.  Morton was from Detroit.  Michigan's first Arbor Day was in 1885.

Arborists are people who have the experience, training and technical skill to care for individual trees and other associated plants in built environments (residential, urban, suburban, community).  The Michigan Forestry and Park Association is a professional organization of arborists, foresters and people interested in trees where we live.   http://forestry.msu.edu/mfpa/Index.htm

I have been working with urban and community forestry for nearly 10 years.  Over that time I've found that organizations and businesses like the idea of tree give-a-ways.  Unfortunately, unless appropriate information about tree care and maintenance is also provided--most of the trees/seedlings end up dying, or planted in the wrong location.  (I prefer events where people can experience the joy of the planting trees and getting a little dirty)

I'm sure that the Sierra Club Nepessing Group will have information about proper tree care at their Earth Day event.  If you don't get to their event, or would like more information about tree care and maintenance, check out the Michigan DNR website www.dnr.state.mi.us under Urban and Community Forestry.  There are fact sheets and other tree planting information.

'He who plants trees, plants hope'  Lucy Larcon

Cara A. Boucher
Cooperative Resource Programs Section
Forestry, Fire & Mineral  Management Division
Michigan Department of Natural Resoruces

517.335.3353 voice
517.373.2443 fax

>>> Karen Griggs <kgriggs@kettering.edu> 04/19/01 06:24PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from Karen Griggs <kgriggs@kettering.edu>

Dear colleagues,
  Sat. April 21 Earth Day events and Sierra Club tree give-away by Nepessing
Group  at Mott Community College, 1401 Court St. Flint

  Sunday April 22
    Walk in the groves of  big trees at Max Brandon Park (formerly Forest Park).
    1:00
   Max Brandon Park is on Dupont St. on the north side of town.

    Look for the spray paint that the vandal sprayed when he marked the majestic
park trees for lumber.  City government has proposed cutting trees in the parks
due to the deficit budget.
    Nepessing Group Sierra Club, sponsors this tree appreciation day and has hired
an expert arborist to give the city advice at their request.
    NOTE: An arborist is not the same as a tree farmer or forester who manages
national and state forests for timber, watershed protection, wildlife, and
recreation.

    Bring a family picnic before 1:00, and enjoy bicycling, pushing the kids in a
stroller or pulling them around in a wagon for fun :) on Sunday afternoon.

Sincerely,
Karen Griggs
kgriggs@kettering.edu

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=