E-M:/ Environmental Speaker in Grand Rapids

Enviro-Mich message from Timberland RC&D <timrcd@iserv.net>

WILLIAM REES TO APPEAR AT URBAN INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ARTS, GRAND
RAPIDS

The book OUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT: REDUCING HUMAN IMPACT ON THE EARTH, by
William Rees and Mathis Wackernagel, contains tolls for calculating how
much of the land's carrying capacity is taken up by any individual or
community. We are pleased to announce that Dr. Rees will be appearing at
the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts (UICA) at 44 Sheldon S.E., Grand
Rapids, this coming Friday, April 27, 7:30 PM, as part of the UICA's Water
Planet series.

As most of you know, the "footprint" terminology has a great deal of
currency right now. The authors not only offer these very practical tools
for determing our footprint, but also, having made the necessary
calculations, point out how unsustainable our lifestyles are. Rees's
perspective considers ecological systems in their integrity with, for
example, such quotes as "Human society is a subsystem of the ecosphere." He
intends for his accounting process to wake people up to how much we
currently exceed the earth's capabilities.

Dr. Rees, a professor at the University of British Columbia's School of
Community and Regional Planning, will give an approximately-45-minute
lecture followed by questions and answers. No reservations are necessary,
but if you have questions you may call the UICA at 616-454-7000, or reply
to this e-mail. The cost is $6.00 ($5.00 for UICA members) and the event is
co-sponsored by West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC).

Please take advantage of this opportunity to interact with an impressive
thinker on ecological issues.

Cynthia Price
616-784-1090