E-M:/ Michigan left behind in the manure

As Michigan wallows in increasing numbers of unregulated concentrated animal
feeding operations (CAFOs), evidently South Carolina has gotten fed up with
the poop factories.  Yesterday, Governor Jim Hodges placed a moratorium on
one proposed huge hog facility (32,000 poopers)until the state has had a
chance to adequately review the proposal.  That action prompted the SC
Legislature to take a look at a more permanent moratorium.

>From the AP news story, see what a bipartisan group of SC Legislators say
about this issue:

SC House Minority Leader Doug Jennings says:  ``Anybody who cares about the
environment cares about this issue,''

Governor Jim Hodges says: ``We cannot allow our rich and vibrant quality of
life to be eroded by reckless out-of-state hog factory farms,'' Hodges said.
``I call on the Legislature to take action. Toughen our laws and defend our
families.''

Can we imagine a time when Michigan's elected officials might care enough
about Michigan's environment to say the same thing about these horrible
facilities, and take action to protect our water and air??

The full story is at:
http://wire.ap.org/APnews/entry.html?FRONTID=NATIONAL&SITE=FLTAM