[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Ecology Center Job Opening for Community Organizer
- Subject: E-M:/ Ecology Center Job Opening for Community Organizer
- From: Mike Garfield <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:25:25 -0400
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: Mike Garfield <email@example.com>
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Mike Garfield -------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE POST AND CIRCULATE!!
The Ecology Center, a regional environmental organization based in Ann Arbor, is hiring a full-time community organizer to staff a collaborative grassroots organizing project in southeast Michigan.
The Ecology Center is a regional nonprofit organization that works for a clean and just environment through grassroots organizing, education, advocacy, and demonstration projects.. Founded in 1970, the Center has approximately 4,000 members and supporters, 9 staff persons, several part-time consultants and interns, and an 11-person Board of Directors. In recent years, the Center has led successful campaigns to close down Michigan's largest medical waste incinerators, improve the environmental performance of the auto industry, and save thousands of acres of precious natural areas. The Ecology Center is the parent organization of Recycle Ann Arbor, also a nonprofit organization, which operates the premier recycling programs in the state of Michigan.
Twelve of Michigan's leading environmental organizations have designed an initiative that organizes and mobilizes the public on behalf of environmental protection. The primary goals of this initiative include helping to create and support effective community leadership and enhance the capacity of local groups. With several other groups, the Ecology Center is participating in the southeast Michigan portion of the project.
The community organizer will coordinate public education campaigns; make public presentations to concerned advocates; prepare materials and conduct trainings for grassroots community groups and outreach staff; build and strengthen project coalitions; work with project partners; publicize key issues in the media; and help to develop and implement winning grassroots strategies. The Southeast Michigan Team will operate in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties. The Ecology Center's community organizer will be focused in Wayne County, but efforts will be coordinated with the tri-county team.
In addition, the position has some shared organizational responsibilities and office duties. The Ecology Center staff is organized as a unionized collective, and actively participate in organizational decision-making.
* successful professional or volunteer experience in grassroots community organizing, preferably on environmental or health issues;
* strong oral/written communication and interpersonal skills, including experience in preparing and delivering public presentations, and ability to communicate technical information to the general public;
* familiarity with grassroots environmental issues;
* ability to work well with diverse people;
* ability to successfully network with individuals and organizations in designated project areas;
* well-organized, self-motivated, and ability to work independently;
* must be willing to travel in southeast Michigan and work some weekday evenings and weekends;
* related educational training is helpful, but not required.
Starting salary is $32,000 per year with an excellent benefits package. Hours are flexible.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Mike Garfield, Ecology Center, 117 N. Division, Ann Arbor, MI 48104. Alternatively, fax to (734) 663-2414 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please call (734) 761-3186.
Please apply before May 18. Applications received prior to May 18 will be given priority, but we will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
People of Color and Women are Strongly Encouraged to Apply
117 N. Division
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 761-3186 ext. 104
(734) 663-2414 (fax)
============================================================== ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/
Postings to: email@example.com For info, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich" ==============================================================