E-M:/ MEDIA ADVISORY-Hamtramck Incinerator Draws National Attention

Enviro-Mich message from RobC313@aol.com

MEDIA ADVISORY

For Immediate Release: May 1, 2001

Contact:    Rob Cedar, 313-365-4722

Donele Wilkens, 313-821-1064

Kathryn Savoie,     313-554-0378

HAMTRAMCK INCINERATOR DRAWS ATTENTION OF NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT

ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE REPORT RELEASED

WHAT: A press conference to release An Analysis of Environmental Justice
Concerns in Downwind Areas Near the Hamtramck Medical Waste Incinerator, a
report on the disproportionate environmental impact of the commercial medical
waste disposal in Michigan.

The report's demographic analysis shows that minority, immigrant, low income,
and vulnerable populations are all disproportionately located near the
state's only commercial medical waste incinerator in Hamtramck. The same
company that owns the Hamtramck incinerator uses a much cleaner technology at
its Grand Blanc facility, which is in a more affluent community with
significantly fewer minority community members.

WHO: The Michigan Environmental Justice Coalition, Hamtramck Environmental
Action Team (HEAT), Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services
(ACCESS), and Hamtramck elected officials will be joined by environmental
justice leaders from the National Black Environmental and Economic
Justice Coordinating Committee, including Damu Smith and Dr. Beverly Wright.

WHERE: Best Western Downtown, 2nd Floor, 1020 Washington Blvd, Detroit.

WHEN: Friday, May 4, 10 a.m. press conference.

WHY: Numerous studies have shown that communities of color and low income
communities are disproportionately impacted by environmental hazards. This
report shows that commercial medical waste disposal in Michigan also follows
this disturbing trend.

"Hamtramck offers affordable housing but we shouldn't have to compromise our
health by living here."  said Rob Cedar of the Hamtramck Environmental Action
Team (HEAT) "We're a community of proud people living in a heavily
industrialized urban area.  The kind of community that helped build America."
 "People have a right to breathe clean toxic free air no matter where they
live" Added Cedar.

"It is unacceptable that burning waste from hospitals-institutions of
healing-is the source of pollution into our communities," said Donele Wilkens
of Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice.  "That the safer
alternatives are being in Grand Blanc, but not at the Hamtramck facility is a
stark example of environmental injustice.

MEDIA VISUALS:  Good visuals, including yard signs, enlarged  photos, and
graphs. Community leaders will also be available to accompany press to the
incinerator after the press conference.