E-M:/ Suggestions re turkey fryer oil disposal

Enviro-Mich message from Terry Lodge <tjlodge50@yahoo.com>

> There are a number of people calling recycling and
> solid waste hotlines in our community wondering what
> do to with the oil that is leftover from turkey
> fryers.  Typically, there is between 15-30 gallons
> of oil per individual that needs to be disposed of.
>
> We have been encouraging individuals to contact
> restaurants who may save their leftover oil for sale
> to a rendering plant, but would like to offer
> another option.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Lori Thomas
> City of Lansing
> Waste Reduction Services

   Lori, if this is vegetable oil, it could be used as
"biodiesel" fuel. Below is a website that contains
many links to biodiesel resources:

http://www.webconx.com/biodiesel.htm

   And here's a link to a Sierra Club newsletter in
Ohio which contains an article describing an active
biodiesel fuel experiment, powering diesel buses with
modifications, in Cincinnati:

http://www.ohio.sierraclub.org/sprawl/august2000.htm