E-M:/ Urgent: Labor support needed for Detroit Kids

 << Dear brothers and sisters: thanks to everyone who came out to support the
parents and kids at McMillan on Saturday. We had a good showing and did some
photos for media outreach. We are going to the City Council at 10 a.m. on
Wednesday, May 9, and there will be a meeting of parents at  the old Beard
School at 6 p.m. in the evening. That meeting will be held at 1415 Mckinstry
off of I-75 near Clark Park.

  For those of you who do not know about this situation, the parents of
McMillan Elementary School and the old Beard school are being forced to send
their kids to the new Beard School which is being constructed on a toxic dump
site. The area was home for several industrial and manufacturing operations
and also a military base and possibly an amunitions dump. Historic McMillan
Dual Purpose Multicultural School is the oldest elementary school in Detroit,
circa 106 years, has high quality programs and 4 generations of alumni in the
community who support the school. It is located in the Empowerment Zone which
many commercial developers are hungry to purchase. That is certainly one of
the main reasons the school board wants the land.

   At least 8 construction workers on the new site have become ill because of
their exposure to contaminants and have also passed the illness to their
families. According to reports, some of the symptoms are very similar to
those of Vietnam Veterans who were exposed to Agent Orange. The site has not
been completely tested nor remediated to the satisfaction of
environmentalists. At least 6 crucial contaminants/poisons were identified
but only two have been tested for. There has been no testing or insufficient
testing for gases, underground water nor chemicals that are airborne. Yet,
the School Superintendent insists on sending the students to the new building
when school opens in September. The school board members were aware that the
site was contaminated before the workers began excavation. If that wasn't bad
enough, following the excavation of tons of toxic soil, some of it was dumped
illegally in the same neighborhood. Another problem is that about 70 percent
of the Beard School parents are Spanish speaking, yet the school board does
not translate the information to them in writing nor when they meet in
public.

  This is both a labor and environmental issue if ever there was one and we
are calling for the support of trade unionists throughout SE Michigan to
stand up and be counted. We need church members, community residents, block
club members, students, educators, artists, musicians and public health
workers everywhere in SE Michigan to come and give us their support. We
cannot wait for the politicians to act, we have to take the lead and fight on
all fronts: legal, political and community organizing. We are in the process
of creating an independent community board to supervise independent testing
and remediation.

  Since so much of Detroit land is in the brownfield category, we can
anticipate that new construction and development or renovation projects
throughout the area will have similar problems with contaminants, therefore
we must ensure that the community residents are informed and actually
participate in the decision-making process from beginning to end.

  If anyone knows labor locals, church members, or individuals in the
metropolitan Detroit/SE Michigan area who will help us, please pass the word!

  McMillan Dual Purpose Multicultural Elementary School is located at  615
So. West End, between W. Jefferson and Fort Street in SW Detroit.

   Charles Simmons,   M.S., J.D.
  --Co Chair, Committee for the Political Resurrection of Detroit
  --Member, Community Advisory to the Brownfield Development Authority
   313-623-8238 >>

-- BEGIN included message

In a message dated 5/5/01 10:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, CSim592951
[...]

 This is a labor issue if ever there was one and we are calling for the

-- END included message

-- END included message