Re: E-M:/ America's fresh water is running on empty

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Jack, Rita wrote:

> Obviously, if the statement below is true, then even our Great Lakes,
> as we now know them, are known to be at risk.
>
> So why are 'they' willing to add to this the risk of contamination
> from an oil spill that due to extremely long residence times would not
> be cleaned up in our lifetime?  This risk - for a 3 week supply.
> Unbelievable.

The answer to this question, and many like it, is obvious, even if it
sounds cynical: a few persons become very wealthy and a few more get at
least jobs out of it for a while.

In addition, the risk is not absolute. The lakes can absorb and destroy
quite a bit of oil in much less than a lifetime. After all, consider all
the tonnage of ships carrying fuels that have sunk and released the fuels
into the environment, without consequences even approaching a lifetime.
Different people judge risks differently (especially, in accord with their
personal potential for economic advantages).

--Rane L. Curl