Re: Re: E-M:/ America's fresh water is running on empty

On Wed, 16 May 2001 Murphwild1@aol.com wrote:

>  "After all, consider all the tonnage of ships carrying fuels that have sunk
> and released the fuels into the environment, without consequences even
> approaching a lifetime.  The lakes can absorb and destroy quite a bit of oil
> in much less than a lifetime."
>
> What?  Are you suggesting that this fuel dispersion has had no consequences??
>  What area of academia are you studying in?

Oil spills in the oceans have had dramatic impacts both locally and
regionally. However relatively little oil is transported on the Great
Lakes (where Michigan is), and that that has been spilled has not had a
very noticeable impact beyond a fraction of a lifetime, to my knowledge. I
would be glad to be corrected. Oil is degraded biologically and chemically
when released into the environment at small rates.

--Rane L. Curl
  (Professor emertitus of chemical engineering)