Re: E-M:/ Critique of "Do this. Forward it on"

Enviro-Mich message from "joonmck" <joonmck@gateway.net>

Dear EMers,

A few days ago (Wednesday, May 16th) the same "ROLL YOUR OWN BLACKOUT"
message appeared on the Sustainable Lansing listerv. Much of the wording was
similar (for example, there were suggestions to "Light a candle
to the Sungoddess, kiss and tell or not, take a stroll in the dark, invent
ghost stories, anything that's not electronic - have fun in the dark" -
compare below).

However, the Sustainable Lansing listserv contained the following paragraph:
"Read the 1999 book "Natural Capitalism" by Hawken and Lovins to learn that
conservation/high efficiency technologies already ARE on-the-shelf. If
implemented these revolutionary ideas would pay themselves off within five
years, after which we'd be pumping far less greenhouse gas into the
atmosphere and saving bucks to boot."

Delavan Spies did not include such a paragraph in his message, I think that
it is fair to say that the BLACKOUT protest would be welcomed by Mr. Hawkins
and his supporters.

While not encouraging you to BACK-OUT of the BLACK-OUT, I would encourage
you to spend the three hours of darkness reflecting on a critique of the
Hawkin's thesis (in between your kissing). To get you started I want to
share Michael Albert's critique of Hawkin's "Natural Capitalism," to get a
discussion rolling on his thesis (AKA "ROLL YOUR OWN CRITIQUE"). Too often,
I find, critical discussions of capitalism are "blacked-out" of polite
discourse.

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna
Environmentalist &
Public Citizen

Here goes:

>From the pages of Z Magazine

Natural Capitalism?

By Michael Albert

> [...]
titled
> "Natural Capitalism." Hawken finds symptoms of illness, describes the full
> disease, explains its cause, and proposes a remedy. The trouble is, Hawken
> confuses the issue more than he clarifies it.
>
> Hawken's thesis is that something called industrialism and its associated
> wrong-headed habits causes over-utilization of resources, inefficient
> squandering of productive potentials, and loss of the benefits of natural
> systems. He writes, "Commercial institutions, proud of their achievements,
> do not see that healthy living systems-clean air and water, healthy soil,
> stable climates-are integral to a functioning economy. As our living
systems
> deteriorate, traditional forecasting and business economics become the
> equivalent of house rules on a sinking cruise ship." Hawken reveals many
> symptoms. For example:
> ".cars are barely 1 percent efficient in the sense that, for every 100
> gallons of gasoline, only one gallon actually moves the passengers.
> Likewise, only 8 to 10 percent of the energy used in heating the filament
of
> an incandescent light bulb actually becomes visible light.. Modern
carpeting
> remains on the floor for up to 12 years, after which it remains in
landfills
> for as long as 20,000 years or more-less than .06 percent efficiency."
> "In the U.S., of the 127 million people working, 38 million work part
time,
> and 35 million have full time work that doesn't pay enough to support a
> family." Add "the actual unemployed, who number 7.4 million, as well as
> another 7 million who are discouraged, forcibly retired, or work as
temps."
> And then, to top it off, "nineteen million people work in retail and earn
> less than $10,000 per year, usually without any health or retirement
> benefits," and over 5 million are in jails, awaiting trial, or supervised
by
> the criminal justice system.
> Hawken relates all the social ills he uncovers back to resource
> mis-utilization and bad accounting. For example, he makes a compelling
case
> that there is an immense productive capacity wasted-he says $2 trillion
out
> of $7 trillion in annual output-due to roadway congestion, highway
> accidents, free parking, guarding sea lanes for oil, inefficient energy
> expenditures, non-essential and fraudulent medical care, substance abuse,
> obesity treatments, air pollution related health problems, tax code
idiocy,
> and crime. He concludes that if we could save all this expenditure, it
would
> be available for education and good health care.
>
> Part of the problem is that Hawken has a limited view of what is wrong.
For
> [...]
> for change, yet never once indicate that anyone is doing anything
> oppressive. Ignorance and outmoded habits are the only problem. More,
there
> is no need to take on the rich and famous. The change sought is in their
> interest, too. We don't have to force elites to relent to our agenda, we
> just have to converse with them and they will see the light and do
business
> right-the natural way. Yes, there will have to be wiser use of taxes to
> provide proper incentives, but there is no need to mention redistributing
> wealth or power, much less changing defining institutions such as private
> ownership or allocation by means of market competition. We just have to
give
> capitalism plus ecological wisdom a chance. Capitalism will do fine for us
> all, once we remove the crusty anachronistic habits of resource profligacy
> that the age of steam engines hoisted on our entrepreneurs.
>
> There was one sentence in the article that hinted at an alternative
> understanding. I think it was a bit of a slip. Hawken never indicates that
> some people owning billions in capital and property and others owning less
> than zero is a problem, and, indeed, the idea of private ownership of
> productive assets is never questioned at all, but about allocation Hawken
> does write: "The value of natural capital is masked by a financial system
> that gives us improper information-a classic case of `garbage in, garbage
> out.' Money and prices and markets don't give us exact information about
how
> much our suburbs, freeways, and spandex cost."
>
> True enough, but why? Is this due, as Hawken argues, to holdover ideas
from
> the golden age of industrial growth limiting our perceptions in a wildly
> altered context? Or is it because, as more radical ecologists contend, our
> allocation system structurally imposes just these results? Let's take it a
> step at a time.
>
> First off, is it old habits dying hard? In fact, one of the few positive
> attributes of capitalist systems is dynamism. Habits of mind or behavior
> which are not institutionally enforced and which become anachronistic from
> the perspective of system maintenance simply disappear. An individual
> habituated to writing with a pen or a typewriter might well continue to do
> so even against the wave of new options that computers offer. But no
> capitalist workplace will stick to old ways the minute superior new ways
for
> fulfilling their corporate aims exist. Crusty old approaches won't live
> beyond their time because market pressures ensure a continuous compulsion
> reduce costs and increase revenues while simultaneously being sure not to
do
> anything that will endanger long term profits.
>
> Suppose an auto plant undertakes a study of a new way to make cars.
Suppose
> [...]
> and overtime will increase, conditions will worsen, and pay will drop. But
> when unemployment is low, and the threat to move on to a new job and leave
> the owner saddled with a hard-to-fill slot is real, workers get uppity,
> conditions improve, and pay increases. Social programs have the same
effect
> on bargaining power and thus on the distribution of wealth, and this means
> their impact goes way beyond their immediate effect on recipients. That is
> why useless waste production is so much better from capital's perspective
> than production that betters the lot of the worst off. It doesn't even
> matter if socially beneficial production can be done with short term
profits
> higher than the short term profits of cleaning up spillage or making
> weapons, or that social production can be done employing more people than
> high tech waste production (actually, this is a debit from capital's
> perspective). What matters is the effect not only on immediate profits,
but
> also on the conditions of being able to continually accrue more profits in
> the future. Indeed, this is what most things economic are ultimately
about -
> how much of the social product will go to capital, how much to the
> intermediary class of managers and other "coordinators," and how much to
> labor, and what will happen over time to the balance of power between
these
> classes and thus to future allocation of product among them. It isn't
> industry-meaning, presumably, that we use steam engines or computers or
> assembly lines-that establishes the criteria of judgement behind
allocative
> decisions. It is the criteria of judgement imposed by our economic
> institutions of ownership and allocation, that determines what type
industry
> we will have, at what scale, with what products, distributed in what
manner.

> Take another example, technology. There is no such thing as a
technological
> imperative any more than there is such thing as an industrial imperative.
> There is no anti-social bias that comes inexorably from thinking about
> technical options any more than there is an anti-ecological bias that
> derives from using industry. Neither using high tech nor thinking about it
> imposes any bias toward or away from accounting for ecological impacts.
> (Indeed, this is pretty obvious from Hawken's own article, as he spends
lots
> of time recounting and admiring how folks are trying to turn technological
> cleverness to the task of environmental cleanliness.) The negative
> trajectories of engineering consciousness and technological artifacts
alike
> derive instead from the defining impact of markets and private ownership.
It
> 's the economy stupid, doesn't mean that it is human curiosity, or
> productivity, or the desire to have lots of output-it means it is the
roles
> associated with our production, consumption, and allocation institutions,
> and the effects they have on our behavior and interests.
>
> When I was a student at MIT I noticed something interesting. The school's
> design, ethos, and pedagogy were as much geared to a social outcome as an
> intellectual one. The aim was to graduate brilliant and capable problem
> solvers who would apply themselves wholeheartedly to any sufficiently
> demanding and interesting technical task they were assigned. To use an
> example Chomsky proposed at the time, if the government or a big
corporation
> asked MIT grads to design a hand gun that a peasant soldier could use to
> shoot down a B-52 (then carpet bombing Vietnam) the grads would be just as
> happy to comply as when they were asked to design a smart bomb that could
be
> dropped from the fast moving B-52 to blow up a dam to flood the Vietnamese

> countryside. What would ensure that all their technological creativity was
> always put to system serving rather than subversive ends was that the
> paymasters employing the engineers and providing their funds would only
> finance the former undertakings. The problem, therefore, isn't that
thinking
> about technology and science or using technology creates an anti-social
> bias, it is that pedagogy provided by capital elevates to engineer level
> only those who are largely undiscerning and won't rebel, weeding out the
> rest, and that the market system guarantees that investments in engineers'
> talents will only elicit products that reproduce social relations, not
> disrupt them.
>
> Hawken doesn't seem to understand any of this. Not private ownership, not
> the market system, not the state's role, not the educational system.
Nothing
> structural. And so even leaving aside the fact that Hawken ignores gender
> and cultural relations, the result of his article is that he proposes a
> strategy for gaining a better economy that may yield an occasional minor
> positive adjustment, if it isn't totally bought out by corporate
> sponsorship, and that will help forestall some catastrophes (which
> capitalists would work to do even without Hawken's entreaties), but that
> will do little beyond that.

ZNet  Z Magazine