From: Rane Curl
To: enviromich
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Fw: PESTICIDES LINKED TO LYMPHOMA

On Thu, 17 May 2001, David Zaber wrote:

>   Folks, Here is some interesting information on Lymphoma and
> pesticide use.  Note Michigan's rank amoung the top five lymphoma
> states.  Now, go out there and spray those lawns........

>   Many lymphoma victims think pesticides are a probable factor in
> their disease. Gary Seem of New Jersey sprayed pesticides on golf
> courses throughout high school and college and was diagnosed with
> lymphoma in 1996. For twenty years, Alan Hingston of Oregon was
> consistently exposed to pesticides on the playground at the school
> where he worked - each exposure bringing on severe physical reactions.
> Currently battling Stage IV Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Hingston believes
> pesticide exposure is a major factor in his disease. American Plant
> Food Company, a garden center in the Washington, D.C. area, remarkably
> began removing pesticides from its shelves early last year, in part
> because one of the owners is battling lymphoma, for which she feels
> her exposure to pesticides played a critical role.

If the fact that some lymphoma victims have also been exposed to
pesticides is all the evidence there is, then there is no evidence.
One also needs to know how many lymphoma victims have NOT been
exposed to pesticides, and how many people exposed to pesticides
have or have not gotten lymphoma. The above anecodotal information
proves nothing. (I am not saying there isn't a connection, only
that the evidence cited above means nothing in itself.)

--Rane L. Curl