From: Diane Lickfelt <lickfelt@egr.msu.edu>
To: <RobC313@aol.com>; <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 2:31 PM
Subject: E-M:/ Re: more crap from MDEQ

Enviro-Mich message from Diane Lickfelt <lickfelt@egr.msu.edu>

Rob (and E-M community):
Our opposition to both meetings being the same day was verbal, not in
writing. We had several conversations with Randy Telesz and Barb Wilcox on
that issue. With your posting to Enviro-Mich, the folks on the list know
about our opposition to combining the two meetings.
(For the record, Rob Cedar modified the subject line of the e-mail we sent
him before posting his reply to Enviro-Mich. Ours read "more from MDEQ,"
his read as shown in the subject of this e-mail.)
Diane

At 11:40 AM 6/8/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello Diane,
>
>Thank you for keeping us abreast of this unfortunate decision by the MDEQ. In
>your message below you say that this was despite "(Y)our strong objection."
>For the record could you post to this and the EM listserve a copy of your
>letter of opposition showing your reasons and resolve toward making this
>process more than just another MDEQ rubber stamp approval of what will
>certainly be a major new source of additional toxins in the already polution
>and economically burdened SW Detroit-Delray Community.
>
>Also, As a community based group HEAT is concerned with the environmental
>health and Environmental Justice issues of the local community.  In an
>earlier meeting you had said that the Delray United Action Council was the
>group that had originally brought you aboard yet I have never met anybody
>claiming to be part of that group. Could you please arrange a meeting so that
>I could meet with them in time to get the local perspective on weather or not
>they are aware of the problems involved with this proposal. As a grass roots
>activist I feel that local participation is very important.
>
>And finally, as the last meeting that I attended (May 24) was poorly attended
>and less than productive could you please provide and commit to an agenda for
>your proposed June 13th meeting and can you assure me that someone local from
>the  Delray United Action Council will be in attendance?  The only contact
>number I had for that group was the community organizer hired by Minergy and
>she does not return my calls.
>
>Thank You
>Rob Cedar
>HEAT- Human Environmental Action Team
>AKA
>Hamtramck Environmental Action Team
>

>In a message dated 6/8/01 10:43:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>lickfelt@egr.msu.edu writes:
>
><< Hello again,
>  we have heard from MDEQ on one matter, the information session.  Despite
>  our strong objection, MDEQ has decided to hold their information session on
>  the same day as the hearing.  We will try again to encourage them to do it
>  on another date before the June 28 hearing, but, we suggest you plan for it
>  to be on the 28th.  You should begin to tell people about the information
>  session so they can make plans to attend.
>
>  We have not heard about the format MDEQ will use for the information
>  session, nor the length of that meeting, but they will begin the
>  information session at 4:30PM at the offices of Delray United Action
>  Council.  The hearing is scheduled to begin at 7PM, and I'm sure they need
>  a dinner break between the two meetings so I don't expect the information
>  session to go beyond 6:30PM.
>
>  With respect to the request for an extension to the comment period, there
>  is still no decision on that and we are told we probably won't hear about
>  it until next week.

> [...]

Michigan State University
1-800-490-3890
(517) 432-3369
FAX: 432-1550
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change
the world.  Indeed it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret
Mead