E-M:/ Tuesday Smog Alert, SE Michigan

FROM MDEQ AQD WEB SITE....

SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN

Tuesday, June 12th will be an Ozone Action! Day in southeast Michigan.

WEST MICHIGAN

No OzoneAction! Days Through at Least Tuesday, June 12, 2001.

OZONE ACTION! WEATHER SUMMARY

Monday, June 11, 2001.

The warm weather is here, but how about the storms?

Summer hits Michigan this week as warm air will be pumped into the state
for at least the next 72 hours. We can expect to see
temperatures in the low 80's today, with readings near the 90-degree
Fahrenheit mark not out of the question tomorrow and
Wednesday. Winds will be out of the southwest during the next couple of
days, ranging from 10 to 15 knots.

These are exactly the kind of conditions where we would expect to see
elevated ozone levels in the state. However, it looks like
a storm system currently sitting over the Dakotas will try to poke its way
through the upper Great Lakes during the daylight
hours Tuesday. Our current thinking is that as the storm moves eastward, it
will weaken. We believe that Milwaukee and
Chicago stand a better chance seeing rain than either Muskegon or Grand
Rapids. In turn, the chance of rain will be infinitely
better in Muskegon or Grand Rapids than in Detroit.

With rain cleansing the atmosphere tomorrow, we think west Michigan will be
spared elevated ozone levels above the 8-hour
health indicator. Therefore, there will be no Ozone Action activities
called for west Michigan tomorrow. Conversely, with no
rain, we see the potential for ozone levels to creep over the 8-hour health
indicator tomorrow in southeast Michigan. Therefore,
we will be calling an Ozone Action Day for this portion of the state.

We will carefully watch the temperatures and storms today and tonight. We
will provide an updated forecast on Tuesday
morning.

Back to OzoneAction! Page

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)