Re: E-M:/ Toronto Task Force Proposes 100% Diversion of Trash by2010

Enviro-Mich message from Mike Garfield <michaelg@ecocenter.org>

And now, to add insult to injury, Barry Gutteridge, the City of Toronto
Commissioner of Works and Emergency Services (with responsibility for
Toronto trash shipments to Michigan) is a featured speaker at a United
Nations-sponsored conference in Ann Arbor later this week.  The conference
highlights the supposed leading environmental efforts of local governments
throughout North America in reducing waste, conserving energy, eliminating
pollution, slowing sprawl, and promoting sustainable development.
Gutteridge is speaking on "Elements of Sustainability Planning."

As a half-Canadian myself, I thought our northern neighbors had more
self-respect than that.  Perhaps Mr. Gutteridge will announce a major shift
in Toronto's recycling programs, and a restoration of funding for their
recovery efforts.  But don't hold your breath.

Mike Garfield

At 12:18 PM -0400 6/19/01, Jeff Surfus wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@mediaone.net>
>
>There doesn't appear to be anything new in this most recent press release
>from the City of Toronto.  They continue to tout "100% by 2010" while at
>the same time cutting recycling funding.  It all sounds nice on a piece of
>paper, but the devil is in the details.
>
>Meanwhile, according to a recent report by the Michigan Recycling Council,
>Michigan continues to lag behind many other states in our recycling
>efforts.  It kind of makes it hard for us to criticize Toronto, doesn't
>it?
>
>It's time to expand the bottle bill to include sports drink and water
>bottles (especially now that Perrier is apparently a Michigan company) and
>keep the cans and bottles from being disposed in our landfills because
>it's in out-of-state trash.
>
>Jeff Surfus
>NO WASTE
>Clean Water Action