E-M:/ What's for Lunch?

While NOT Michigan specific, as the home of the Bil-Mar plant, and with the
CAFO issues arising here, this report may raise important questions about
who has what connections where in our state as well.  AW

WHAT'S FOR LUNCH? New Report Shows Who's in Charge of School Lunches

The Sierra Club's Clean Water campaign released its report, "Spoiled Lunch:
Polluters Profiting from Federal Lunch Program," which reveals that major
suppliers for the federal School Lunch Program consistently break laws that
protect our environmental health. As they run their giant slaughterhouses
and processing plants, these companies routinely violate clean air and
water regulations and labor safety laws. It seems like a no-brainer that
the federal government would inspect suppliers' environmental record before
awarding them taxpayers' dollars, but the Bush administration has not
honored a Clinton era rule that requires this type of review.

Find out more at
http://www.sierraclub.org/factoryfarms/report01/