E-M:/ Bush Protest in Detroit

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Enviro-mich,

About 75 concerned citizens rallied at am yesterday in front of the
Renaissance center in Detroit to protest the Bush energy plan, his position
on the environment, and other issues.  This follows on the heels of another
gathering in Howell to greet Vice President Dick Cheney at a $1,000 per
plate fundraiser for Mike Rogers and deliver a similar message on the energy
plan.

Our message was simple: If Bush is talking to Mayors he should be telling
them about the pollution impacts of his energy plan to cities like Detroit.
Specifically we covered the impact of coal and drilling (as related to the
Great
Lakes) and alternatives.  Volunteers marched under our $10,000 Bush Cheney
dollar bill banner and distributed mock $10,000 bills with information on
the nearly $5,000,000 the Bush Cheney ticket received from oil and energy
interests during the 2000 campaign.  We were joined by our friends at PIRGIM
who dispatched a group of canvassers to share in the excitement.  Thank you
to Megan Owens for helping with this event.  Also, thank you to those folks
who did participated in a protest style event for the first-time!

I am pleased to say this group received good media coverage helping to
elevate the profile of the issue.  Below is a link to the Detroit Free Press
story in today's paper:

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/scene26_20010626.htm

-Dan