From: David Zaber
To: Enviro-Mich@Great-Lakes.net
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Take a look at this

I understand that Michigan has a public trust doctrine.  If so, why not a lawsuit against Harding based on his blatent disregard for the public trust?
Harding justifies his  that as long as they build some other wetlands, they can go ahead.  Obviously, he did not read the latest National Academy of Sciences report on the failure of wetland mitigation programs across the country.  It was profiled in the New York Times yesterday: URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/27/science/27WETL.html?searchpv=day01

Here's a snippet:

     "A Decade-old government program allowing landowners to destroy some wetlands if they create or restore others is failing, a panel of top scientists said yesterday.
     The panel, convened by the National Academy of Sciences, found that in many cases the construction of substitute wetlands was often delayed or never finished. It also found that when finished, projects often failed to meet standards set for them and that even when the final result satisfied regulations, the artificial wetlands did not duplicate the ecological functions of the natural wetlands that were buried."

Clearly, Harding's slap in the face of Michigan's public for the benefit of special interests cannot be justified on the basis that new wetlands will be able to replace those being lost from airport construction.

Hey Russ, got any other justifications for stomping on the public trust in Michigan?

Regards,

Dave Zaber