E-M:/ Sierra Club News Release: Rogers Supports Oil Drilling in Great Lakes

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Sierra Club News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE								       CONTACT:
June 28, 2001									    Wendy Balazik, 202-675-2383
										          Dan Farough, 517-484-2372

SIERRA CLUB DENOUNCES REP. ROGERS FOR OPPOSING PROTECTING THE GREAT LAKES
FROM DAMAGING OIL DRILLING
Rep. Rogers Votes for a Component of President Bush’s Destructive Energy
Policy

Washington-The Sierra Club today condemned Representative Mike Rogers
(MI-08) for voting against protecting the Great Lakes from destructive oil
and gas drilling.  The House approved an amendment, introduced by Reps.
David Bonior (D-MI), Marcy Kaptur (D-OH), Steven LaTourette (R-OH) and Bart
Stupak (D-MI), to the Energy and Water Appropriations Bill (H.R. 2311) that
would prevent drilling for oil or gas beneath the Great Lakes.  The
bipartisan amendment easily passed in the House by a vote of 265 to 157.

“Americans don't want oil drills looming on our beaches or oil spills
ruining our Great Lakes,” said Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra
Club.  “By approving the Bonior amendment, the House has rightly protected
another fragile coastline that President Bush has supported opening up to
destructive development.  Instead of President Bush's drill, dig and destroy
approach to finding fossil fuel, Americans want a balanced approach that
gives us quicker, cleaner, cheaper and safer solutions, like
energy-efficient technologies, renewable power like solar and wind, and
responsible production.”

“The approaching Independence Day holiday is a perfect reminder that
millions of Americans rely on the Great Lakes for drinking water and
recreation.  Drilling in these delicate areas would be a slap in the face to
Americans who want to protect our Great Lakes’ beaches and fragile shores.
We can meet our energy needs without ruining our favorite beaches and
coastlines,” continued Pope.  "We are disappointed that Rep. Rogers did not
stand up for Michigan and all Americans and block efforts to destroy our
Great Lakes and coastlines.”

The vote today to prevent oil drilling in the Great Lakes is the latest
rejection of President Bush’s irresponsible energy plan.  Last week, the
House struck down efforts to allow drilling for oil and mining for coal in
our National Monuments and off the coast of Florida.  The House also voted
to force mining companies to pay to clean up their own messes.

# # #

 For the latest environmental news, please visit:
http://www.sierraclub.org/pressroom/.