Re: E-M:/ Professor Dersch on Two Stroke Marine Engines (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from Tamar Charney <charney@umich.edu>

On the topic of marine engines...here's something I started wondering about
this weekend while taking my little sailboat out on an inland lake this
weekend.

What role are marine engines playing in the air quality problems we are
having?  Michigan has, what is it, a million registered boats and from what
I saw around the boat ramp each of the motorized boats & personal
watercrafts produce quite a lot of exhaust and fumes.  Are there any
studies on the contribution this makes to ozone buildup and air quality
problems?

On ozone action days we are asked not to run lawn mowers, but the lakes are
packed with motorized boats roaring around.