E-M:/ MDEQ Division Audit

Michigan Office of the
Auditor General
Thomas H. McTavish, C.P.A.
Auditor General

----------
EXECUTIVE DIGEST #7612500
RADIOLOGICAL PROTECTION AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMS

----------
INTRODUCTION
This report, issued in July 2001, contains the results of our performance
audit of the Radiological Protection and Environmental Health Programs,
Drinking Water and Radiological Protection Division (DWRPD), Department of
Environmental Quality (DEQ).

----------
AUDIT PURPOSE
This performance audit was conducted as part of the constitutional
responsibility of the Office of the Auditor General. Performance audits are
conducted on a priority basis related to the potential for improving
effectiveness and efficiency.

----------
BACKGROUND
This audit addresses three programs within DWRPD.

The Radiological Protection Section monitors radioactive material sources
to protect patients, employees, and the public from unnecessary exposure to
ionizing radiation. DWRPD expended approximately $1.4 million and employed
15 staff to operate the Radiological Protection Section in the fiscal year
ended September 30, 2000.

The Medical Waste Regulatory Program registers certain producers of medical
waste and regulates the handling and disposal of medical waste. DWRPD
collected approximately $246,600 from registered producers of medical
waste, expended approximately $189,700, and employed 2 staff in the fiscal
year ended September 30, 2000.

The Dry Cleaning Program licenses, inspects, and regulates dry cleaning
establishments to protect workers, the public, and the environment from
overexposure to dry cleaning chemicals. DWRPD collected approximately
$320,000 from approximately 1,120 dry cleaning establishments, expended
approximately $228,800 to implement this regulatory program, and employed 5
staff in the fiscal year ended September 30, 2000.

----------
AUDIT OBJECTIVE, CONCLUSION, AND NOTEWORTHY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Audit Objective: To assess DWRPD's effectiveness in protecting the public
through the regulation of users of radioactive materials, producers of
medical waste, and operators of dry cleaning establishments.

Conclusion: We concluded that DWRPD was generally effective in protecting
the public through the regulation of users of radioactive materials,
producers of medical waste, and operators of dry cleaning establishments.
However, our assessment disclosed reportable conditions related to
inspection of registered users of radioactive materials, the Indoor Radon
Program, the Medical Waste Regulatory Program, and inspection of dry
cleaning establishments (Findings 1 through 4).

Noteworthy Accomplishments: DWRPD revised radiological assessment
procedures to address nuclear power reactor accidents to improve emergency
preparedness. These changes, which focus on delivering prompt and prudent
public protection, were positively recognized by the Federal Emergency
Management Agency in July 2000.

----------
AUDIT SCOPE AND METHODOLOGY
Our audit scope was to examine the program and other records of the
Radiological Protection Section and the Environmental Health Section of the
Drinking Water and Radiological Protection Division, Department of
Environmental Quality. Our audit was conducted in accordance with
Government Auditing Standards issued by the Comptroller General of the
United States and, accordingly, included such tests of the records and such
other auditing procedures as we considered necessary in the circumstances.

We examined DWRPD records and activities for the period October 1, 1997
through September 30, 2000.

----------
AGENCY RESPONSES AND PRIOR AUDIT FOLLOW-UP
Our audit report contains 4 findings and 4 corresponding recommendations.
The agency preliminary response indicates that DEQ agrees with 2
recommendations and that DEQ does not agree with 2 recommendations. The
agency preliminary response also indicates that DEQ did not agree with part
of Finding 4.

DWRPD complied with the one prior audit recommendation that was included
within the scope of our current audit.

  <http://www.state.mi.us/audgen/comprpt/docs/r7612500.pdf>Full Audit
Report - #7612500 - RADIOLOGICAL PROTECTION AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMS

Documents prefaced by require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®, a free application
available on the
<http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html>Adobe homepage.

This page was created on July 5, 2001.

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=