E-M:/ Sierra Club Meeting & Tour: "What's Wrong With Our Trees?"

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Heise <aheise@orchard.wccnet.org>

Friends,

What would summer in Michigan be like without the lush foliage of trees?
At this month's Sierra Club meeting in Ann Arbor on Tuesday, July 17,
Annie Hannan will lead us on a guided tour of the Matthei Botanical
Gardens that will spotlight the impact of insect damage, exotic diseases,
pollution, and non-native invasive plants on oaks, maples, pines, and
other native tree species.  Her program is titled "What's Wrong With Our
Trees?:  A Naturalist-guided Walk in the Woods."

The tour begins at 7:30 pm and is preceded by an optional potluck supper
that begins at 6:30.  Both events are free and open to the public. If you
come to the potluck, please bring a dish to share along with a cup, plate,
and eating utensils for yourself.  Kids are welcome.

The potluck, tour, and subsequent social hour are a terrific opportunity
to meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and
protecting nature.  You can also learn about local Sierra Club activities
ranging from hikes, canoe trips, bike tours, and service projects to all
sorts of conservation campaigns. And for those of you who want to help
stop sprawl during your shopping trips, we'll have EarthCash shopping
vouchers available (so don't forget to bring your checkbook!).

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located
in northeast Ann Arbor at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and
Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free
and open to the public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this
message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club events information: 734-480-7751
	                	- or -
				www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro