E-M:/ Conservation Summit - Agenda for the next administration

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

This posting is to announce a process for formulating an agenda to
preserve Michigan's natural resources. The process will include at least
five regional meetings (July to September) and one final statewide
meeting on September 20 in Lansing.  The first regional meeting is in
Southeast Michigan this Thursday (7/19) starting at 10 am.

OBJECTIVE:

 The Conservation Summit will formulate an agenda for Michigan’s next
administration to protect our natural heritage. This agenda will only be
meaningful if it carries the endorsement of most, if not all, of the
leading conservation and environmental organizations. This effort will
be compatible with charitable tax exempt entities. Political candidates
will neither be supported nor opposed at the Summit.

PROCEDURE:

 Regional Meetings around the state will allow organizations to have an
early hand in crafting the agenda. A final document will be forged at
the Summit on September 20, 2001, but it will begin to take shape in the
Regional Meetings. We respectfully request that your delegate be
prepared to offer final input at the Summit on September 20, bring a
pen, and be empowered to sign the agenda for your organization.

CONSERVATION SUMMIT 2001

on Thursday, September 20, 2001
at the Kellogg Center

 KEYNOTE SPEAKER:

 Senator Gaylord Nelson,
 founder of the first
 Earth Day in 1970

 Limited Seating
 Registration Deadline: August 15, 2001

 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast (included in
the $35 registration fee).

 9:30 - Noon  Morning Session.

 Noon - 1:00 p.m. Lunch (included in the registration fee).

 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.  Afternoon Session.

FEES:

 The registration fee for attendance will essentially cover expenses
(beyond the foundation grants) for the meals and costs incurred at the
Kellogg Center. The registration fee for the Conservation Summit is
$35.00.

 Funded by grants from  the Frey Foundation and  the Wege Foundation

REGIONAL MEETINGS:

The agenda will take shape during these Regional Meetings:

SE Michigan: Thursday, July 19, 2001, 10 a.m.
  Western Wayne County Conservation Association
  6700 Napier Rd.
  Plymouth, Michigan
>From M-14 (West of I-275) take the Gotfredson Rd. exit north to N.
Territorial Rd  (about 1/2 mile). Right on N. Territorial Rd. Napier Rd
will be on your left (approximately 1/2 mile). The Western Wayne County
Conservation Association is about 1/2 mile from N. Territorial at 6700
Napier.

Mid-Michigan: Wednesday, July 25, 2001, 10 a.m.
   St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
   218 W. Ottawa
   Lansing, Michigan
   Call MEC for more info: (517) 487-9539
Located at the intersection of Seymour and Ottawa, directly north of the
State Capitol Building.

West Michigan: Wednesday, August 15, 2001, 10 a.m.
   Boy Scouts of America, Gerald R. Ford Council
   3213 Walker Ave, N.W.
   Grand Rapids, Michigan
   (616)785-2662
>From I-96 take Exit 28 (Walker St.). North on Walker. Proceed beyond the
highway ramp to the first street and turn Left. Go to the second
building.

Upper Peninsula: Thursday, August 16, 2001, 7 p.m.
Superior Room, University Center
   Northern Michigan University
   540 West Kaye St.
   Marquette, Michigan
   (906)227-2623
>From Washington St. in downtown Marquette, turn North on 4th St., then
approx 1 mile and turn Left on Kaye. Proceed one block to University
Center on Right.

Northern Michigan: Friday, August 24, 2001, 1 p.m.
Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council
   426 Bay Street
   Petoskey, Michigan.
   (231)347-1181
Directly across the street from the Perry Hotel. Downtown Petoskey
covers about six city blocks. The Perry Hotel is a yellow building.

Neither fees nor registrations are required for the Regional Meetings.
Please join us at your local Regional Meetings to assure that your
issues and specific concerns will be addressed in a timely manner.

QUESTIONS:

 Any questions? Call:

 John Rohe, Conservation News Service, (231)347-7327;

 Dana Debel, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, (517)346-6452;

 James Clift, Michigan Environmental Council, (517)487-9539; or

Patty O’Donnell, Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa,
(231)271-7368.

WHY ONE VOICE IS NEEDED:

"Conservation of our natural resources is close to the heart of Michigan
residents. The Conservation Summit enables conservationists and
environmentalists to unite in identifying common issues and common
solutions." Jim Goodheart, Executive Director, Michigan United
Conservation Clubs.

“Michigan citizens care deeply about their environment. They are
frustrated with government’s poor enforcement of our environmental and
conservation laws. The Conservation Summit is an opportunity for the
people to turn things around. By working together, we can look forward
to better enforcement and better days ahead.” Lana Pollack, President,
Michigan Environmental Council and former state senator.

“The Summit enables us to collectively energize the public to
reestablish proper stewardship of our environment and public assets.”
Dr. Howard A. Tanner, former Director of the Michigan Department of
Natural Resources.

“Perhaps the world will little know nor long remember the Conservation
Summit 2001, but we conservationists who care about the environment now
know about the meeting, and it ill behooves us not to be there.” Frank
J. Kelley, Michigan Attorney General Emeritus.

“At no time in Michigan’s history has it been more important for the
conservation and environmental communities to speak with one, coherent
voice about the threats and opportunities our great state faces.” Ann
Wiowode, Staff Director, Mackinac Chapter of Sierra Club.

“Michiganians care about conservation issues. Now is the time to develop
a uniform strategy to lead Michigan forward in stewarding our natural
resources.” Don Inman, President, Michigan Resource Stewards.

 CONSERVATION SUMMIT 2001 RESERVATION

NAME OF ORGANIZATION:

CONTACT PERSON:

ADDRESS:

PHONE :                                         FAX:

E-MAIL:                                            WEBSITE:

Please reserve                  seats at the Conservation Summit for:

.
Name(s) of Attendee(s)

Enclosed is: $                ($35.00 per attendee) payable to:
CONSERVATION NEWS SERVICE, address below. Registration fee includes
breakfast and lunch.

A block of rooms at a reduced rate will be held by the Kellogg Center
until August 20. Please call the Kellogg Center for room reservation at
800-875-5090.

G (Check if applicable) If your organization is unable to pay the
registration fee, please contact John F. Rohe (231) 347-7327 to discuss
the availability of scholarships. (Only a limited amount is available.)

Please enclose your payment.

RETURN THIS WITH YOUR PAYMENT BY AUGUST 15, 2001 T0:

Conservation News Service
c\o John F. Rohe
438 East Lake Street
Petoskey, Michigan 49770