Re: E-M:/ Message for the President: Great Lakes are Not forSale

Enviro-Mich message from "Chris Greene" <crgreene@med.umich.edu>

Using Great Lakes water to keep western golf courses green is just as outrageous as covering the mojave desert with solar panels to fuel Detroit auto plants.
(But good grief, don't suggest that idea to Engler or Bush, please!)

Who should I write to about this? Is it worth the effort to write to Bush?

Chris "Greenbean" Greene

>>> James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net> 07/18/01 01:15PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

The Michigan Environmental Council (MEC) today denounced President
Bush's statement that he wants to talk to Canadian Prime Minister
Chretien about piping Canadian water to the parched southwest.  The
Great Lakes * which we share with Canada - represent 95% of North
America's fresh water and are therefore at risk of being the target of
diversion.

In statements made to the Toronto Globe and Mail, President Bush said he
hoped to talk to the Prime Minister as early as this weekend about this
issue.  The President went on to say, "I look forward to discussing this
with the Prime Minister*.at any time because water is valuable for a lot
of our countries. "

"Unfortunately, the administration appears to be taking the same
short-sighted approach as they are on energy issues * concentrating
solely on supply side, instead of first concentrating their efforts on
conservation," stated Lana Pollack, President of MEC.  "The idea of
piping Canadian water to Arizona to keep golf courses green in the
desert is an unconscionable waste of our most precious of natural
resources," says Pollack.

"Even if the Great Lakes are not the target of this discussion, an
agreement to pipe water from Canadian to the Southwest would establish a
bad precedent that puts the Great Lakes at greater risk of diversion in
the future," added James Clift, MEC Policy Director.

The article in the Globe and Mail can be found at:

http://www.globeandmail.com/

Submitted by:

James Clift, Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council