Thanks,
Brad Wurfel
Michigan Department of Natural Resources

>>> "Pfuehler, Erich" <Erich.Pfuehler@mail.house.gov> 07/20/01 12:32PM >>>
These are Congressman David E. Bonior's remarks and a newswire article
regarding yesterday's introduction of the 2000 Salmon Recovery Planning Act:

	"I want to thank Representatives McDermott and Petri for their
leadership on this important issue.  We have a chance to do this right.  We
can protect the threatened Snake River salmon and ensure that families in
Washington, Oregon and Idaho don't incur economic hardships.  The way to do
that is to bring all of the parties to the table ... the environmental
community ... the Native tribes in the region ... the fishermen, anglers and
sportsmen ... the farmers ... the longshoremen and barge pilots ... the
railroads ... and the families who live in the communities along the river.
Today, there are no wolverines in Michigan ... prior generations allowed fur
traders to wipe them out.  Nor are there any Graylings ... loggers removed
so many trees at the turn of the century that our lakes and rivers became
too warm for the fish to survive.  Let's not see the day when there are no
salmon in the Pacific Northwest ... let's do the proper planning to make
sure we protect both the salmon and the families who live in the region ...
let's follow the principals laid out in the McDerrmott / Petri legislation."

U.S. Newswire, July 19, 2001
Statement by Coordinator of Snake River Campaign at Taxpayers for Common
Sense on the Introduction of the Salmon Planning Act

The following is a written statement of Autumn Hanna, coordinator of Snake
River Campaign at Taxpayers for Common Sense on the introduction of the
Salmon Planning Act:

Taxpayers for Common Sense applauds Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA) for
introducing the Salmon Planning Act of 2001 today. Rep. McDermott, along
with Reps. Tom Petri (R-WI), Jim Leach (R-IA), David Bonior (D-MI) and
fourteen others are leading the way to ensure that we are ready to remove
the four dams on the Lower Snake river if the current billion dollar
techno-fixes fail to save salmon from threatened extinction.

This bill is a win for the taxpayer. Fish recovery schemes such as barging
and trucking have proven to be expensive failures. Engaging in long-range
planning on the lower Snake River is just plain, fiscally responsible.

Washington has been selling the taxpayer down the river. This bill provides
a plan to escape this river of fiscal ruin.

It seems the federal government's response to the expensive threat of
extinction is to throw buckets of money at half-baked solutions like barging
and trucking of salmon. This legislation recognizes the need to be prepared
if we eventually decide to partially remove the four dams.

This legislation is responsible and simply makes sense. It doesn't order the
dams removed. But it does recognize that if we get to the point where
removal is necessary to avoid the high taxpayer cost of extinction, we
better be prepared. This legislation sets up a common sense process to
figure out what we would need to do to reduce the impact to the local
economies and people who benefit and use the four dams today.

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=