E-M:/ Re: Disease forces removal of trees along I-75

Enviro-Mich message from HAMILTREEF@aol.com

I'm finding it difficult to get help to change the monoculture of a red pine
stand on my own wildlife area on the White River in Muskegon County.  I have
about eight acres of mature tall red pine rows and several other adjacent
stands of scotch pine and I cannot persuade any loggers to harvest any of my
timber or take the chips.  I would not object to a few tall scattered trees
to show the visitors, but I would like the other plant diversity to get some
sunlight.  I asked for no timber or chip profits just to help the loggers and
still can't give them away.  My property is enrolled in a plan under the DNR
Stewardship Incentive Program (SIP) and as usual the DNR has no money to help
the SIP participants.

As urban sprawl breaks up the landscape into smaller pieces with more
individual property owners, the loggers are abandoning sections of red pine
stands because they cannot come into easy 40 or 80-acre blocks to harvest all
at once.  Many urban dwellers do not recognize timber monoculture (they think
red pine plantations are neat row forest) and it is almost impossible
organize scattered small landowners to possibly put together a combined sale
for the loggers.  This will be my third year of trying to get my timber
harvested.  If there are any loggers in West Michigan looking for some red
pine logs or pine chips, please send them my way.  Thanks.

Thomas E. Hamilton
Hamilton Wildlife Area
2785 Weesies Road
Montague, MI 49437