E-M:/ **URGENT: PROTECT THE ESA-OPPOSE THE ENERGY BILL!!**

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

Hello!

The House is today debating the very bad Energy bill.  A vote will occur
early this afternoon.  There will be votes on two key amendments- one on the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and one on CAFE standards.  We urge people
to support both these amendments.

However, this bill will still be terrible if this bill passes.  It goes so
far as to state that say that any Federal law governing oil and gas leasing
cannot be stronger than existing state law.  This could potentially make the
hard work of folks in Michigan to get a Great Lakes drilling moratorium to
pass in Congress null and void.  We need to continue to ensure that our
Great Lakes remain free from oil and gas drilling!   In addition, this will
override the Endangered Species Act in many states, as well as many other
key natinal environmental laws.  Many native Michigan species and migratory
birds could be detrimentally effected by this bill!

Please call your Representative right now to oppose this bad bill.

Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121

Message: Oppose HR 4.  It is a terrible bill for our nation's forests,
waters, endangered wildlife, and wildlands!  We must not allow a false
energy crisis to override our nation's key environmental laws, especially
our noble Endangered Species Act!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

Liz Godfrey
Northland Organizer
Endangered Species Coalition
(608) 294-1338