E-M:/ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:17:18 -0500

Enviro-Mich message from Liz Vos <lvos@lakemichigan.org>

From: nirsnet@nirs.org
Subject:  ACTION CAMP!
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:13:33 -0400

NUCLEAR FREE GREAT LAKES CAMPAIGN

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE           Contact: Dave Kraft, (847) 869-7650
July 31, 2001                              Michael Mariotte (202) 328-0002
                                   Keith Gunter (810) 783-5251
                                   Chris Williams (317) 205-3535

HUNDREDS OF ANTI-NUCLEAR ACTIVISTS TO CONVERGE ON CHICAGO AREA

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE WILL HIGHLIGHT NEW STRATEGIES;
ACTIONS AT DRESDEN NUCLEAR COMPLEX

Hundreds of anti-nuclear activists from around the world will converge
on the Chicago area August 18-24, 2001 for a major international
conference on sustainable energy development.

The International Conference for a Sustainable Energy World: Confronting
Nuclear Power with People Power will kick off with two days of issues
workshops at DePaul University August 18-19. The event then moves to a
campsite in Yorkville, Illinois, where participants will work to develop
new strategies to combat the Bush-Cheney energy plan and the impending
threat of a worldwide nuclear power resurgence.

On Thursday, August 23, a rally and nonviolent action will take place at
the Exelon Corporation's Dresden nuclear power complex, near Morris,
Illinois.

"This will be the largest gathering of safe energy/environmental
activists in the Midwest in at least 20 years," said Dave Kraft,
executive director of the Evanston, Illinois-based Nuclear Energy
Information Service. "This third annual get-together of the Nuclear-Free
Great Lakes Campaign (NFGLC) holds the promise of being a catalyst for
real change."

"Unlike previous action camps in the U.S., this one will have a major
international component," pointed out Michael Mariotte, executive
director of the Washington DC-based Nuclear Information and Resource
Service (NIRS). "We are bringing in dozens of the best and brightest
activists from across the world. Confirmed registrants come from Russia,
Germany, Holland, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Ukraine, Korea, Argentina, Spain
and elsewhere. With the increasing globalization and consolidation of
the world's nuclear power industry, it's time we met to compare notes,
make plans, and fight back."

"Nuclear power is an obsolete technology," explained Keith Gunter, a
conference organizer from the Detroit, Michigan area. "At this
conference, we'll be exchanging information on the latest in modern
sustainable energy technologies, and, most importantly, how to make them
part of our lives. We don't need less energy, we need better energy."

Laura Campbell of Citizens Action Coalition of Indiana added, "Not only
will we be strategizing on how to implement a sustainable energy future,
but we also will be holding non-violence and direct action sessions. We
don't intend to sit idly by when tens of thousands of unnecessary and
dangerous radioactive waste shipments threaten the Great Lakes region,
and when the nuclear power industry talks of building some 50 new atomic
reactors. We intend to stop them."

Workshops will be held on issues such as new reactor construction; the
Price-Anderson Act, which limits nuclear industry liability in the event
of an accident; radioactive waste transport, both in the U.S. and
abroad; the use of plutonium-based (or MOX) fuel in the U.S. and Russia;
the work of the International Energy Brigades, which implement energy
efficiency improvements in low-income regions of central and Eastern
Europe, and much more.

The action on August 23 will target Exelon's Dresden reactors, which
were on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's "problem plants" list for
several years. "Exelon is the perfect example of all that is wrong with
the nuclear power industry," said Michael Mariotte of NIRS. "It is now
the largest nuclear power utility in the United States, and through its
subsidiary arrangements with British Energy, its tentacles reach into
the United Kingdom and Canada. Moreover, it is the only utility that
says it wants to build new atomic reactors in the United States.
Exelon's future is more radioactive waste and waste transport across our
highways and railways, more radiation pollution, and more risk of
nuclear accidents. We see a different future, of clean, sustainable
energy, and unless it changes radically, Exelon has to go."

A full list of international participants is available from NIRS
(202-328-0002, nirsnet@nirs.org). They include Lydia Popova, the head of
nuclear activities for Russia's largest environmental organization,
Socio-Ecological Union; Vladimir Sliviak, a leader in Russia's fight to
stop imports of radioactive waste; Tanya Murza and Natasha Akulenko of
Ukraine and Ginette Garcia of Bulgaria, who are part of the
International Energy Brigades; Christoph Rall of Germany's Robin Wood,
which held up a German radioactive waste shipment in March for more than
18 hours by cementing themselves to train tracks, as well as other
veterans of German anti-waste demonstrations; and many others.
Interviews can be arranged with international participants upon request.

"This conference and camp are going to change things," said David Kraft
of NEIS. "We expect everyone attending to be inspired and empowered;
this is a major step toward a nuclear-free Great Lakes. The public is
invited to attend all parts of this event and we think everyone who does
come will not only learn, but will become active."

For more and regularly updated information on the week's events and
directions, visit
www.nirs.org/glac/glac.htm