E-M:/ IMPORTANT NEWS ON DIOXIN - JOIN THE EFFORT

Enviro-Mich message from "Eric Uram" <eric.uram@sierraclub.org>

Subject: IMPORTANT NEWS ON DIOXIN - JOIN THE EFFORT

Apologies for cross-postings.....

Great news!!  -  Working Assets has created a web page for the Stop Dioxin
Exposure Campaign.  Included on the web site is a sample letter which
can be emailed to EPA Administrator Whitman to release the Dioxin
Reassessment.  Please email this link far and wide-we need full
participation!  Keep up the great work!

http://www.workingforchange.com/activism/action.cfm?itemid=11704

____
PELOSI CALLS ON ADMINISTRATION TO RELEASE REPORT ON DIOXIN HEALTH EFFECTS

WASHINGTON - 08.02.01 | Today forty-two Members of Congress, led by Rep.
Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), called on the Bush Administration to finalize and
release a landmark report on the health effects of dioxin. Chemicals in the
dioxin family, formed primarily as a byproduct of industrial activities,
are highly toxic, long-lasting, travel long distances through the air, and
accumulate as they move up the food chain into humans.

"The risk of cancer from dioxin may be higher than one in a thousand for
the general population. But cancer isn't the only hazard. Dioxin causes a
wide range of other health problems, including reproductive, developmental,
immunological, and endocrine effects in both animals and humans. Children
are especially vulnerable.

"Dioxin has become so widespread in the environment that almost all living
creatures, including people, are exposed to it. The EPA has been studying
the health effects of dioxin for almost 20 years. It is high time for this
report to be released, so that we can move quickly to address the dangers
of dioxin," Pelosi said.

The letter was sent to the Administrator of the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency, Christine Todd Whitman, and requested that the dioxin
report be released to the public by the end of the summer. EPA's Science
Advisory Board has reviewed the report and recommended that it be finalized.

August 2, 2001

Honorable Christine Todd Whitman
Administrator
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
1200 Ariel Rios building
Washington, DC 20460

Dear Administrator Whitman:

We are writing to urge the Environmental Protection Agency to finalize and
release the reassessment of dioxin exposure and human health effects,
"Exposure and Human Health Reassessment of
2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-Dioxin (TCDD) and Related Compounds," by the
end of the summer.

The American people have already waited a long time-more than ten years-for
the completion and release of the Dioxin Reassessment. EPA has been
studying the sources and health effects of dioxin for nearly 20 years, and
this report is the most comprehensive health risk assessment ever prepared
by the agency.

The Dioxin Reassessment finds that dioxin causes a wide array of adverse
health effects. The risk of cancer from dioxin exposure may exceed one in
1000 for the general population-a level a thousand times higher than the
risk level of one in a million that is generally considered acceptable for
cancer. The risk is higher for workers and others with higher levels of
exposure. Dioxin also causes numerous non-cancer health problems, including
reproductive, immunological, developmental, and endocrine system effects.

By signing the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants this
spring, the Administration officially recognized that dioxin is hazardous.
Parties to the treaty are committed to a number of significant steps to
eliminate or reduce the production, use and release of 12 persistent
organic pollutants (POPs), including dioxin. While recognizing that it will
be a challenge to completely eliminate dioxin, since it is a by-product of
industrial activities, the treaty calls for its "continuing minimization
and where feasible, ultimate elimination." Given U.S.support for the POPs
treaty, it is imperative that we move ahead with the Dioxin Reassessment,
which will provide a basis for domestic policies on dioxin.

We understand that the Dioxin Reassessment will be circulated to an
inter-agency review committee. We hope this next step in the process will
be completed in a timely fashion, to avoid additional delays in the release
of the study. We ask that you proceed expeditiously, as recommended by the
Science Advisory Board, to complete and release this important public
health document by the end of this summer.

Thank you to your attention to our concerns and for your commitment to
human health and the environment.

Sincerely,

Thomas H. Allen
Tammy Baldwin