WEST MICHIGAN

Wednesday and Thursday, August 8-9 are Ozone Action! Days.

                               OZONE ACTION! WEATHER SUMMARY

Wednesday, August 8, 2001

The last of the uglies...

The high-pressure system over the Great Plains continues to weaken as it
moves eastward. This has allowed a low-pressure
system over Manitoba to intensify and dig a little southward. The first bit
of evidence of this low that we'll see in the Great
Lakes region is an increase in winds. By tomorrow afternoon expect the
winds to be southwesterly and in the 15-20 mile per
hour range. Unfortunately, while these winds spell the beginning of the
end, they aren't going to be enough to halt ozone
production tomorrow. Temperatures will once again breach the 90-degree
mark. Skies will be hazy. With plenty of background
ozone around, these conditions will likely be enough to push us up against
the ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standard.
Therefore, we are once again asking for Ozone Action activities to be
conducted in both west and southeast Michigan
tomorrow.

Either late on Thursday night or early on Friday morning, a cold front
trailing from the Manitoba low will move through the
region and drop temperatures and humidity considerably. Temperatures will
struggle to break 75 degrees Fahrenheit from
Friday through Tuesday. With all of the low- level moisture we have, we're
certain to see some thunderstorms pop up Thursday
night and Friday morning. Exactly where these storms will occur and how
much rain will result is more difficult to predict at this
time.

Our next forecast will be on Thursday, August 9.

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)