E-M:/ Hot! The Russ Harding/Ingham County Health Department Connection: "The Time is Now...Are You Ready?" Conference Next Week

Dear EMers,

This is hot, hot hot!

Are you itching to learn how to do a local environmental health assessment in your town or city in Michigan? The Ingham County Health Department (in Lansing) wants to tell you how!

Next week Ingham County officials will join the speaker list with such luminaries as MDEQ Director Russ Harding and Michigan Department of Community Health Director James Havemen at the beautiful Garland Resort in Lewiston on August 21st to field your questions about public health and the environment. The occasion is the 16th Annual Conference of the Michigan Association for Local Public Health (MALPH). This year's conference title is, "2001: The Time Is Now...Are You Ready?" It lasts 3 days, through August 23rd.

I wonder if Ingham Officials will address their curious silences to the "No Secrets" post of January 21st, 2001, which inquired about possible censorship and data suppression in the department? Or the lack of response to the "Laurie Garrett" post? The occasion, that January 21st, was an open community forum with Bob Godbold, the Director of the Environmental Health bureau. Review the silences yourself at:

http://cacvoices.org/healthforum/forum.asp?forumID=13 (scroll down to the bottom of the forum and read the posting from "Joyce," and note the lack of a response.

I encourage all of you to attend Ingham's session called, "Environmental Health Assessment - The Process (CME's applied for)." The conference announcement says that, "The purpose of this session is to motivate others to undertake a community-based assessment of the environment in their jurisdictions.  The session will include contrasts between current EH practices and activities of EH assessment; a comparison with community health assessment; potential outcomes of EH assessment; and a facilitated discussion with attendees of benefits and challenges of EH assessment." It is being presented by Robert Glandon and Robert Goldbold, Ingham County Health Department.

If any of you attend, please ask them about their upcoming plans with the Ingham County environmental assessment. And inquire about any possible omissions and data suppressions in the assessment. I'm just asking! You can't be too careful you know. The Enviro-Mich community would also benefit from a tape recording of the session! Any volunteers?

Again, the conference title is: "2001: The Time Is Now...Are You Ready?" I hope you are! Ready or not, the show will go on. . . .See the conference agenda at:

http://www.malph.org/page.cfm/6/ (scroll down half the page to access the pdf file titled, "conference agenda.")

I encourage all EMers who have the time to attend, ask good questions, and dialogue with our governmental leaders! There are other breakout sessions on topics such as:

"Employee Privacy: Use, Misuse and Abuse of Technology: The Employer's Right to Regulate" (i.e. the boss's right to spy on your e-mail posts and use anything you say against you);

"Make Your Workplace a Safer Place to Work!" (I wonder if they'll be discussing bullying, mobbing and scapegoating by employers?).

NACCHO will be there, and for those of you not in the know, NACCHO (the National Association of County and City Health Officials) is a happening place! They're the professional organization representing 3,000 local health departments across the United States. They are also heavily involved in promoting local environmental health assessments. (By the way, I wonder if there have been omissions and data suppressions in the 10 official environmental health assessments across the country -- in Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc. -- sponsored by NACCHO? HHmmmm.) For more about NACCHO's activities, see:

http://www.naccho.org/project54.cfm

Oh, there's a barbecue on Wednesday evening. There's only one drawback...for those of you not yet registered, the fee is $225! Maybe the media (Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, Lansing State Journal) would be interested in attending to cover the goings on for the rest of us (thus circumventing the steep fee)?

See you there!

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.

Public Citizen & Anthropologist

P.S. Here's a schemata of the conference agenda:

Agenda

16th Annual MALPH Conference

Garland Resort, Lewiston, Michigan

Tuesday, August 21, 2001

10:00 - Noon Forum Meetings

1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Board Meeting

3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Public Health Law Initiatives: The National Perspective

Wednesday, August 22, 2001

8:30 - 9:30 a.m. State Directors Panel w/Q&A - James K. Haveman, Jr., MDCH

K. Fedder for MDA, (invited), Russell Harding, MDEQ

9:30 - 10:00 a.m. Break exhibitor area

10:00 - 11:30 a.m. State of the Association: Mark Bertler

Keynote Speaker: Bob Ortwein

Developing strategies for impacting Public Policy

11:30 Break - visit exhibitor area

11:45 - 1:00 p.m. Group Luncheon/Awards presentation

1:15 - 2:30 p.m. Breakout 1 Internet access laws/rules - Gary Patterson, Esq.

Breakout 2 PH workforce HRSA - Kristine Gebbie, HRSA

Breakout 3 Accreditation - Walt McGuire, Robert Scranton

Breakout 4 EH Assessment - B. Glandon, B. Goldbold, Ingham County

2:30 - 2:45 break exhibitor area

2:45 - 4:00 p.m Breakout 5 Job to job description - O. William Rye

Breakout 6 Recruit Retention PH Prof. - Ann Schulte, PhD, SPHR

Breakout 7 Workplace safety - M. Frayer, MI Municipal Risk Mngt Auth.

Breakout 8 State sanitary code - Brendan Ringlever of K. Sikkema’s Office

7:30 - 9:30 p.m. MALPH President Elect Barbecue

Thursday, August 23, 2001

8:30 - 9:30 Group breakfast

9:45 - 11:30 MALPH Legislative Agenda

Donna Brown, NACCHO