E-M:/ Sierra Club Press Release - Rogers Accountability

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

News from
Michigan Sierra Club
109 East Grand River, Lansing, MI 48906 Phone (517) 484-2372 Fax (517)
484-3108

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 15, 2001						Contact:
								Dan Farough, 517-484-2372

SIERRA CLUB ADS TAKE REP. ROGERS TO TASK
FOR VOTES ON ARSENIC AND OIL DRILLING

CLEAN WATER ACTION AND SIERRA CLUB URGE SENATORS
TO STAND FOR ENVIRONMENT

LANSING - The Sierra Club today launched radio ads in Michigan, highlighting
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-08) votes against protecting our air and water, curbing
global warming, safeguarding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and
properly funding EPA’s enforcement programs.  The ad also calls on Senators
Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow to support these environmental initiatives
when they return to Washington in September.

"We are disappointed with Representative Rogers, who has sided with
polluting industries time and time again.  Rogers needs to understand that
protecting our environment takes more than a PR campaign, it means voting to
protect the pristine Arctic Refuge, getting arsenic out of drinking water
and promoting real solutions to the nation’s energy problems - including
making their cars, light trucks and SUVs go farther on a gallon of gas,"
said Dan Farough, Program Director of the Mackinac Chapter of the Sierra
Club.  "As the fight to protect our air, land, and water heads to the
Senate, we are confident Senators Levin and Stabenow will stand up to
protect our environment. And save consumers money at the pump.

In addition, Rep. Rogers missed his opportunity to protect the people of
Michigan from President Bush's irresponsible cuts to the Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA).  “Rep. Rogers, did not step up to the plate to get
cancer-causing arsenic out of our drinking water, or insure our
environmental protections are enforced," said Bethany Renfer, Program
Coordinator for Clean Water Action.  “Many communities in Rep. Rogers
district have high levels of arsenic and will be negatively impacted by his
vote.  We hope Senators Levin and Stabenow will restore funding the EPA
needs to crack down on polluters, and that they will take similar steps to
protect our families from drinking arsenic,” said Renfer.

The Sierra Club ads criticize Rep. Rogers for voting against four
environmental amendments.  These votes aimed to:

--Protect the unspoiled coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
from destructive oil drilling; this effort failed;

--Close a loophole in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) law that allows
light trucks to guzzle more gas than cars; this amendment failed;

--Prevent the EPA from delaying or weakening the standard for arsenic in
drinking water; this amendment passed; and

--Restore $25 million that President Bush wants to cut from the EPA's
enforcement and compliance budget, which pays for government efforts to
crack down on polluters; this amendment failed.

As a freshman from a district that highly values protecting our air, land,
and water, the Sierra Club had hoped Representative Rogers would become a
supporter of the environment.  “Representative Rogers has missed almost
every single pro-environment vote in the House and is quickly positioning
himself as a friend of polluters.” said Farough.

Anticipating critical environmental votes in the Senate, the ads ask people
in Michigan to call Senators Levin and Stabenow and ask them to support
these measures to reduce arsenic in drinking water, protect the Artic
Refuge, close the light truck loophole and restore funding for environmental
enforcement.

###